Moving into Catchment by 31st Dec from another city

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rahulbsp

Moving into Catchment by 31st Dec from another city

Post by rahulbsp »

Hi,
What is the rule for movement into catchment by 31st Dec if you are not from Birmingham . Should the DS/DD primary school also move to Birmingham by 31st Dec or just renting the house in catchment ( and later on buy) and applying for a primary school by 31st Dec and changing the address of DS/DD bank account to New address would suffice ? Because it might take lot of time for the primary school move .
Tamilmaaran

Re: Moving into Catchment by 31st Dec from another city

Post by Tamilmaaran »

rahulbsp wrote:Hi,
What is the rule for movement into catchment by 31st Dec if you are not from Birmingham . Should the DS/DD primary school also move to Birmingham by 31st Dec or just renting the house in catchment ( and later on buy) and applying for a primary school by 31st Dec and changing the address of DS/DD bank account to New address would suffice ? Because it might take lot of time for the primary school move .

Hi .

What I understand is that , you have to submit your council tax bill and utility bills of Oct/Nov to the council. bank account would be the last in your list. You dont have to change the Primary school. The child can continue in the old school from the new address.

Hope you have submitted your CAF accordingly.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Where are you moving to ? I have just answered in the Warwickshire thread - not sure of the date for B'ham but I know that they are very hot on checking that is a genuine move so other advice is the same
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tamilmaaran wrote:

Hi .

What I understand is that , you have to submit your council tax bill and utility bills of Oct/Nov to the council. bank account would be the last in your list. You dont have to change the Primary school. The child can continue in the old school from the new address.

Hope you have submitted your CAF accordingly.
I think they would expect the child to move school if the family "had moved " a significant distance - we have seen cases of parents allegedly taking children many miles back to the old school from the new address, frankly an impossible daily commute
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

PS looks like 31st October https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CaroleMew

Post by CaroleMew »

I didn’t find anywhere can upload the proof of address when submitting the application. Thanks for the link. Nearly missed the deadline!
rahulbsp

Post by rahulbsp »

Is it not that 31st Oct deadline when you are applying CAF via Birmingham council, as CAF across UK has same deadline of 31st Oct .
But if I am applying from my local council say Coventry council, then I can choose Birmingham grammar school as first preference and I have till 31st Dec to submit the address proof that now we have relocated to Birmingham .

My doubt though is how easy it to switch primary school in 2 months, between Nov and Dec end ( considering schools are closed from 2-3 rd week of Dec) from one city to Birmingham for year 6 .

So if we move the house (partially) to Birmingham in November and apply for a place in year 6 in Birmingham in Nov, but as it would take time for the Birmingham council to allocate school in year 6, so the child might continue on Coventry primary school till then.

In above scenario if the child gets a place in year 6 after 31st Dec, say Jan or Feb then still are we good about 31st Dec address deadline as we have moved and even applied do primary school place? ( so have all intention to move completely and not a temporary move )
JM40

Post by JM40 »

Check the detail of the admissions policy for the school you are trying to move into catchment for. For example, CHG policy states “ forms must be returned to the LA by 31 October 2021. Any change of address after this date will not be considered until after places have been offered in March 2022.” It looks like you are too late to move to be considered as in catchment applicants, though of course can apply as OOC.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

rahulbsp wrote:Is it not that 31st Oct deadline when you are applying CAF via Birmingham council, as CAF across UK has same deadline of 31st Oct .
But if I am applying from my local council say Coventry council, then I can choose Birmingham grammar school as first preference and I have till 31st Dec to submit the address proof that now we have relocated to Birmingham .

My doubt though is how easy it to switch primary school in 2 months, between Nov and Dec end ( considering schools are closed from 2-3 rd week of Dec) from one city to Birmingham for year 6 .

So if we move the house (partially) to Birmingham in November and apply for a place in year 6 in Birmingham in Nov, but as it would take time for the Birmingham council to allocate school in year 6, so the child might continue on Coventry primary school till then.

In above scenario if the child gets a place in year 6 after 31st Dec, say Jan or Feb then still are we good about 31st Dec address deadline as we have moved and even applied do primary school place? ( so have all intention to move completely and not a temporary move )
As I mentioned elsewhere some of the LEAs are very suspicious of people "partially moving" you either have or haven't - if you have properly moved then the LEA would be more likely to expect you to home school or accept the place they will quickly give you somewhere in Birmingham - the process would not take months.

Have you had it confirmed that Birmingham is allowing up to December ? all I could find was this:
IMPORTANT: All proof of address must be submitted, without exception, by the national closing date for school applications. For applications for September 2022, this is 31 October 2021 for transfer to secondary school, and 15 January 2022 for start of school in Reception. If proof of address is submitted after the closing dates, the address will not be considered for the purposes of processing your child’s on time application.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now