BIRMINGHAM ALLOCATIONS MARCH 2022

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

New_tothis

Re: BIRMINGHAM ALLOCATIONS MARCH 2022

Post by New_tothis »

Could anyone give any advice on waiting list movements. I have twins with one having a place at BVGS and the other at QMGS. The son at QM is 23rd on waiting list with a score of 221. I can see historically the offer by September is 5 points below the March 1st offer.
Having not been through this before, I need to manage expectations and potentially prepare them for different schools.
I understand that every year can be different but wanted to know if anyone has experience of waiting list movements.
Any guidance is truly appreciated!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

New_tothis wrote:Could anyone give any advice on waiting list movements. I have twins with one having a place at BVGS and the other at QMGS. The son at QM is 23rd on waiting list with a score of 221. I can see historically the offer by September is 5 points below the March 1st offer.
Having not been through this before, I need to manage expectations and potentially prepare them for different schools.
I understand that every year can be different but wanted to know if anyone has experience of waiting list movements.
Congratulations.You have your twin sons at two equally good grammar schools which is your starting point.
It’s difficult to advise as to whether your son will get a place at QMGS from the waiting list.
Sometimes the lists have moved very little with late entrants taken into account and on other occasions they have moved a lot.
The best advice would be from the admissions officer at the school.
I would work on the premis of two different schools and if it happens it happens.
Either way you are in a very good position.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

quasimodo wrote:
New_tothis wrote:Could anyone give any advice on waiting list movements. I have twins with one having a place at BVGS and the other at QMGS. The son at QM is 23rd on waiting list with a score of 221. I can see historically the offer by September is 5 points below the March 1st offer.
Congratulations.You have your twin sons at two equally good grammar schools which is your starting point.
It’s difficult to advise as to whether your son will get a place at QMGS from the waiting list.
Sometimes the lists have moved very little with late entrants taken into account and on other occasions they have moved a lot.
I would work on the premis of two different schools and if it happens it happens.
Reading the post again, I think that they want both at Bishop Vesey, rather than both at QMGS?

New_tothis, am I correct? Or do you just want both at the same school (in which case, is your 'BVGS' twin also on the waiting list for QM?)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ToadMum wrote:
quasimodo wrote:
Reading the post again, I think that they want both at Bishop Vesey, rather than both at QMGS?

New_tothis, am I correct? Or do you just want both at the same school (in which case, is your 'BVGS' twin also on the waiting list for QM?)?
Looking at your previous posts New_tothis…
I think that’s correct you want both twins to go to BVGS.I would speak to the admissions officer at that school and find out how much the waiting list may move.

My apologies for misreading your post.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

New_tothis - very hard to say whether the BVGS list will move enough - if you want them at the same school then have you got your BV son on the QMGS waiting list too?

As it is, I suspect there are many people who may tell you that twins can thrive when educated at different schools, they are both good schools and they can be their own person there, different friends / different activities - the competition will be there but in a different way
New_tothis

Post by New_tothis »

Thank you to all of you for your advice and experience. I think I’ll contact BVGS but both are prepared to attend different schools.
Thanks again!!
Nella

Post by Nella »

New_tothis wrote:Thank you to all of you for your advice and experience. I think I’ll contact BVGS but both are prepared to attend different schools.
Thanks again!!
Hi New to This.
No advice about waiting lists, but popping on to say my twins are at separate schools. It has been the best decision for both of them. I was concerned initially about how the more reserved twin would manage but it’s been the making of him. One twin is bright but the other would probably be termed gifted if that was still a thing. For the first time in their lives they are not being compared.

Good luck to your pair with whatever happens
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I have just phoned BCC to see what movement there has been on the BVGS waiting list. We have moved up 1 place in a month!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Nella wrote:
New_tothis wrote:Thank you to all of you for your advice and experience. I think I’ll contact BVGS but both are prepared to attend different schools.
Thanks again!!
Hi New to This.
No advice about waiting lists, but popping on to say my twins are at separate schools. It has been the best decision for both of them. I was concerned initially about how the more reserved twin would manage but it’s been the making of him. One twin is bright but the other would probably be termed gifted if that was still a thing. For the first time in their lives they are not being compared.

Good luck to your pair with whatever happens

to echo above, I have a friend with twins who ended up in different schools and like above poster it has turned out to be a positive - and my DS1 and DS2 went to different grammar school and it was definitely a big plus for DS2 who is not as academic as DS1 to be free from comparison to his brother.
Monkoo

Post by Monkoo »

muminbrum wrote:
I have just phoned BCC to see what movement there has been on the BVGS waiting list. We have moved up 1 place in a month!
When do the waiting lists start moving historically?

My daughter has been 1st on the waiting list for Sutton Girls since the list was published. She has stopped rushing for the post every day now.

Thanks