Wolverhampton Girls High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lategate

Re: Wolverhampton Girls High School

Post by Lategate »

JustOutside wrote:@Lategate, I wonder why it's so quiet too. I miss the level of activity of a few years ago: I watched and learned, and this time it has been our turn with DD, and I log on every day to see what has been going on.

My DD has a place at her first choice school, which is Sutton Girls, but I am keeping an eye out on here for friends that didn't get their first choice for various schools, including for QMHS.

Congratulations to your DD on her offer of a place at WGHS, and fingers crossed for you for QMHS.
Thank you! We are happy with WGHS and will accept that with a huge smile. I just want to be sure that we know all of our options before we are fully invested.
Well done to your DD too. You must be incredibly proud.

I am also keeping an ear to the ground for friends too. I too have gleaned so much from this forum with DS a few years ago. In fact, had it not been for this forum, we would have wasted my son's Birmingham score by believing that QMGS was the only option. He is now at HGS and we cannot speak highly enough of it. We feel truly blessed that he has found such a perfect fit for him, the care and support through covid have been second to none there. And that is all thanks to the wise words from parents on this forum.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Lategate wrote:I too have gleaned so much from this forum with DS a few years ago. In fact, had it not been for this forum, we would have wasted my son's Birmingham score by believing that QMGS was the only option. He is now at HGS and we cannot speak highly enough of it. We feel truly blessed that he has found such a perfect fit for him, the care and support through covid have been second to none there. And that is all thanks to the wise words from parents on this forum.
That is lovely to read, @Lategate. I know of a family whose son is at Handsworth Boys, and they are all delighted with the school, and their daughter will be going to Handsworth Girls in September.

I also have some friends who live in the catchment area for the Handsworth grammars but who, prior to the introduction of catchment areas, would have been targeting Five Ways or the Camp Hill grammars. Some of them have opted for private schools rather than the Handsworth grammars, which seems astonishing to me. An objection to the location, I assume. It will be interesting to see whether their popularity increases over the next few years.
SusieM

Post by SusieM »

Lowest score confirmed is 310 - school confirmed via phone call

Advice please. On the day of the exam, I was having surgery. Can I appeal that this would have affected my daughters score
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

SusieM wrote:Lowest score confirmed is 310 - school confirmed via phone call

Advice please. On the day of the exam, I was having surgery. Can I appeal that this would have affected my daughters score
You can certainly go on the waiting list and appeal for a place - to appeal you need really good academic evidence as that is what the panel will want to see - extenuating circumstances also need mentioning but they will not help without the academic evidence

Have a read of the FAQ https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to start your own thread in the appeals section then that is here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Has anyone had any communication from WGHS to confirm the offer of a place? I’m getting a little twitchy that we haven’t heard anything from the school yet.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Lategate wrote:Has anyone had any communication from WGHS to confirm the offer of a place? I’m getting a little twitchy that we haven’t heard anything from the school yet.
@Lategate, I was very impressed with communication from WGHS during the 11 plus application/test/results phase (I indicated to share my details with that school as well as QMHS, although we ultimately decided the journey to Wolverhampton was too long.) I'm therefore a little surprised you haven't heard anything yet.

For Sutton Girls my DD received a letter on 4 March, followed by an email last week inviting us to an open morning for new intake that hadn't previously visited the school (which was held yesterday). A friend's DD, who will be going to Handsworth Girls, also received a letter and invitation.

I'm sure there's nothing amiss, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind you calling just to check.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

JustOutside wrote:
Lategate wrote:Has anyone had any communication from WGHS to confirm the offer of a place? I’m getting a little twitchy that we haven’t heard anything from the school yet.
@Lategate, I was very impressed with communication from WGHS during the 11 plus application/test/results phase (I indicated to share my details with that school as well as QMHS, although we ultimately decided the journey to Wolverhampton was too long.) I'm therefore a little surprised you haven't heard anything yet.

For Sutton Girls my DD received a letter on 4 March, followed by an email last week inviting us to an open morning for new intake that hadn't previously visited the school (which was held yesterday). A friend's DD, who will be going to Handsworth Girls, also received a letter and invitation.

I'm sure there's nothing amiss, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind you calling just to check.
I have called WGHS today and I’m glad I did. We should have received a welcome letter along with an acceptance letter. The deadline for returns was yesterday. Thankfully they have now emailed me a copy, with a note to ignore the deadline and return at my earliest convenience. I am glad that I called now!
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Phew - that's good news, @Lategate!
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

JustOutside wrote:Phew - that's good news, @Lategate!
I know. I was annoyed when I called and it dawned on me that we had been overlooked. But, it’s sorted now. I just wish there was a face to face open event so my daughter can actually see the school and feel reassured.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now