KE Grammers NVR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mh1

KE Grammers NVR

Post by mh1 »

In preparation for the NVR aspect of the 11+ exams I'm encountering some difficulty in explaining the methodology to answering the CUBE/NET questions. Does anyone have any tips for these question types?

Are you aware whether such questions have come up in previous exams?

Thanks
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi mh1,

I posted this same query very recently on the NVR section of this forum and received some heplful replies. Briefly it would seem that most people have difficulty with these types of questions and they don't seem to come up too often. I had a very helpful reply from fm so if you check on that section you will find more info. Hope this helps you,
Regards Clarendon
loulou

Post by loulou »

mh1

Post by mh1 »

thanks for the responses
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I am pretty sure that my daughter said that that NVR part of the KE Test last November contained a section of these cube type tests, could somebody else please confirm.
fm

Post by fm »

Every year I ask for feedback from my pupils and sometimes I get some wildly different versions of the exam. I did post under 're:tests 1' an amalgamation of their most consistent responses this year, hoping others might add to it or amend it. Unfortunately there have been few other comments on the exam.

My understanding of the non-verbal section is based on two children's drawings of it plus my own daughter's explanation, and I don't think it is quite the same as the cubes in the Bond Non-verbal.

These children stated that there was some (4 or 5 maybe) 3-d constructions made of several cubes at the top of the page. You then had a list of 2d views taken from one (or possibly none) of the 3d constructions above, and you had to state from which one it was derived.

Assuming the above is correct, then it isn't quite the same as the cubes with patterns on the sides, although that may be valid practice.

Hopefully, having repeated this in the Birmingham section, we might get some more feedback from children who did the exam this year so my interpretation above can either be verified or discarded.

I would say there is a possibility that this section will reappear next year in that 'bugs' featured for at least two years running.

As to other part of the non-verbal, I did get some quite consistent explanations of it being 6 hexagons round a central hexagon, with a pattern running through the drawing and one hexagon blank but for a question mark. You then had to select the right one to replace the question mark from a choice of 4/5. I would say matrices but with more than 4 elements.

Again, any feedback to support or correct the above would be useful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now