Travel / KenR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Travel / KenR

Post by Guest »

Hi KenR and other Birmingham parents. Congratulations for your children gaining a place at King Edwards. I am possibly putting my child foward for the test this year - however the travel is putting me off. I wondered if you could answer a couple of questions - now you are in the situation. What happens when the child arrives at school at 8.15 (It's so early!!!) and How are they coping with catching the bus home and do they feel it is a long day with all the travel and waiting for buses?

Many Thanks from a much to over protective parent!
KenR

KE Travel

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest

There's only been 3 days of travelling on the us (4 if you include the induction day last term) - but so far it's working very well.

The 8:15am arrival isn't a problem as registration starts at 8:35 but the advantage is that they finish at 3:35. The buses leave at 3:50 and in our case arrives at about 4:20.

It turned out are about 9 children that get the bus from the same stop including 4 other new starters.

I don't think the travel is anything to worry about, in fact it's quite benefitial. They seem to quickly develop friends who travel on the same bus, including some of the older hands who help the new starters.

One interesting feature about 5 ways is that they deliberately segregate children from the same primay school wherever possible so that everyone has to make new friends in the class and on the bus.I wasn't sure about this at first, but it does seem to work.

Is it 5 Ways you were thinking about or one of the ther KE Schools? Where do you live? Most of the others seem to have switched to the Green Bus Co this year, although 5-Ways was the first to use it mainly because the children all seem to lve so far away.

Worthwhile asking a few of the children or staff about this on the open days.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your help. I am thinking of King Edwards Aston as we are from the Sutton area. It's good to know the school have a 'mix up' policy. I just worry as from a comfortable junior school life where we dont set off untill 8.45 and are back home at 3.45 - it seems such a scary jump when they are barely 11. However, we are going to the open days in a couple of weeks - so I think I will ask a few questions i.e how many children from our area go etc.