A score of 217

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinka1979

A score of 217

Post by Tinka1979 »

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum. Firstly well done to all the kiddies whatever number came in the post today, you should all be super proud :D

My DS has a score of 217, super proud of him.. BV is up there for us as a choice, what are his chances??

Thank you
um

Re: A score of 217

Post by um »

BV is becoming more and more popular and rightly so as it's a super school - unfortunately for you this means that on 217 your son is highly unlikely to receive an offer on 1 March.

It's still definitely placing as first choice (if it is first choice) to be possibly offered off the waiting list.

We do not know exactly what the last waiting list offer for BV was this year, but the school or LA should have and be able to give you this information - if you get it please let us know. It can give some indication of the chances.
Tinka1979

Post by Tinka1979 »

um wrote:BV is becoming more and more popular and rightly so as it's a super school - unfortunately for you this means that on 217 your son is highly unlikely to receive an offer on 1 March.

It's still definitely placing as first choice (if it is first choice) to be possibly offered off the waiting list.

We do not know exactly what the last waiting list offer for BV was this year, but the school or LA should have and be able to give you this information - if you get it please let us know. It can give some indication of the chances.

Thank you so much. QM is his 1st choice BV will go as a second. I agree it is a super school.

I will of course let you know, thanks again
Wolczr

Post by Wolczr »

Does that mean my DS should be relatively safe on 225? I’m a tad worried about the impact of the extra 600 which sat the exam.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Wolczr wrote:Does that mean my DS should be relatively safe on 225? I’m a tad worried about the impact of the extra 600 which sat the exam.
Although we don’t really know until 1st March, I would be confident with 225. The score has been steadily rising over the years for BV, but even if it does rise again you should still be ok.
Sandkb

Post by Sandkb »

my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

would he stand no chance at FW? he really likes the school and this is would be ideal as has a green bus. BV would be very difficult for him to travel to.

not sure if even worth putting down as a choice. any advise would bewelcomed!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Sandkb wrote:my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

would he stand no chance at FW? he really likes the school and this is would be ideal as has a green bus. BV would be very difficult for him to travel to.

Assuming you are non PP Five Ways in my opinion would be a wasted choice.You should consider KE Handsworth where he will get a place and KE Aston maybe from the waiting lists.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Sandkb wrote:my DS also scored 217 we live in Shirley. the closest would be FW or BV I think. I am hoping he may stand a chance for BV on the waiting list.

You could get to HGS quicker than BV - according to Centro journey planner it's just over 50 minutes from Shirley station, changing to the no 74 bus in town. I've seen a group of lads waiting for that bus in the morning and at parents evening last year one of the parents told me there was a group getting the train (then 74) from Hall Green - is that the same line?

Obviously if you have a good local comprehensive you may prefer to opt for that. It's a very personal decision.
sallygill

Post by sallygill »

Hi all

Well done to all the children for working so hard!!

Can I have some advice please?

My son scored 231, I am not sure how to go about doing the school application.

I am not sure if I should put FW as first choice then Handsworth Grammar? Is 231 enough points? Is it a waiting list game? Aston and BV Is too far I think for a child to travel for the next five years.... :(

I seriously don’t know what to do....
MSD

Post by MSD »

sallygill wrote:Hi all

Well done to all the children for working so hard!!

Can I have some advice please?

My son scored 231, I am not sure how to go about doing the school application.

I am not sure if I should put FW as first choice then Handsworth Grammar? Is 231 enough points? Is it a waiting list game? Aston and BV Is too far I think for a child to travel for the next five years.... :(

I seriously don’t know what to do....
Congrats Sallygill - that's a great score. Last score for 2018 entry for FW was 228, offers day was 232. So, although borderline, going by previous years you have a pretty good chance.

Always put them in the order of your priority on CAF. In your case FW, followed by Handsworth. If you don't get FW, Handsworth will automatically become your first choice. The schools have no idea where you place them on your form and this is common misconception people have. If 231 wasn't enough for FW, on the 1st March you will be offered Handsworth and placed on waiting list for FW.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now