nvr for birmingham grammar exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blackwellmum

nvr for birmingham grammar exams

Post by blackwellmum »

can anyone tell me what are the best practie papers for the birmingham ke5ways/grammar exams? using the 11plusswot/bond papers at the moment? thanks
Claire
KenR

Post by KenR »

The KE Foundation Exams are set by the Univ of Durham CEM and they have a deliberate policy of not supplying practice papers. There are also signifcant differences between these papers and most of the 11+ practice papers in the market and they do also change from year to year.

My general advice would be to use as wide a variety of 11+ practice papers as possible and randomly use these in timed practice sessions to get your child used to the unusual.

Children taking the KE Foundation exam find themselves under a lot of time pressure, particularly for the VR and vocabulary sections. Maybe worth trying 11+ material such as the The Tutors Volcabularly Builder- see 11+ material section to try to increase their range of words. The key thing is that they must know the precise meaning of words not just a vague idea of the meaning.

Comprehension is aslo included in the test. Not a bad idea to get them reading article from broadsheet newspapers every day and them get them summary back to you what was written.

Maybe fm has some ideas on the best material.

Regards
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Is this what you would recommend for the new style tests in Warwickshire too KenR?
I posted on Warks a few weeks ago and haven't yet had a reply re how to tutor my daughter...I feel we have more to lose this time!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now