KES - 11+ Exam Clarification KenR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

KenR - for multi choice questions for VR,NVR, maths, etc, do the children fill answers on a seperate sheet or do they complete answers on the question paper it self like?

Would be useful to know.......

Thanks
KenR

KE Exam Format

Post by KenR »

Sorry Guest, I really don't know. As I mentioned my son was somewhat vague about the actual form at of the test.

KE Mum or othe parents may have more information

Regards
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

I am pretty sure that they complete the test on the paper itself, ie, not on a separate computer mark sheet. When you apply to do the test you will receive a short example test that shows you how it looks.

All the best.
Andy

For KEMum

Post by Andy »

Hi KEMum

Can you please clarify the information below... I have quoted this section from your earlier post. The first section suggests 25min maths and VR, but the second section also includes 20 min maths, does that mean that they complete a maths paper twice.

I would appreciate if you could clear this up for me maybe I cant see the bigger picture.

Thanks
Andy
My daughter explained:

10 mins proof reading
10 mins word recognition with definitions
25 mins maths and verbal reasoning

15 mins break

10 mins non verbal
20 minutes maths
15 answering questions
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Andy,

For 2005 and 2006 entry there were maths sections in both papers.

For the Sept 2005 entry exam, I obtained details from the Foundation Office of the Standardised Scores and there were a total of 82 'Numerical' questions across the 2 papers.

For info a raw score of about 46/82 or 67% equated to a Standardised score of 116 for a child aged 10.85 years at the time of the exam. (my son's age)

That's quite low compared to a lot of NFER or Athey type Maths papers.

Some of the questions were quite hard, in last years exam for 2006 entry, my son told me he missed out quite a few maths questions from the 1st paper but still managed a Standardised score of 130 overall - so the pass marks must have been low again compared to traditional papers.

He did less well in the NVR and particular the Eng/VR - as I mentioned time pressure is the issue with the latter.

Hope this helps
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Andy

The information that I put up on the message board last November was exactly what my daughter told me. They did have two maths sections, but my daughter was only 10 and 2 months when she did the test, so if it isn't 100% accurate, I am sure you will understand!

As Ken said, some of the questions were quite hard and she said that she guessed them because she really didn't have a clue. However, there was no algebra or anything like that. The test didn't expect children to have been taught over and above what they do at school. I think the questions required good "thinking" skills - trying to look at a problem and apply what is already known. It is difficult to explain in writing, but if you were here I could show you!!

The proof reading section was a passage about Easter Island and the children had to correct errors in it, but also understand what it was about, because they had to answer questions on it as the last task in the test. Somewhere they had a passage from a Roald Dahl story as well - they had to explain the meaning of words within the passage. I think they need good literacy/vocabulary skills and the ability to spell. The Roald Dahl story was from Tales from the Unexpected - I know because about 6 months later she read it and told me she had read the story in the test.

Good luck!

Post by Guest »

392 posts but no one wants to contribute, seems like people are too lazy to get involved or are strictly on a mission not to share any information.

Thankyou to kenr and kemum.

Post by Guest »

CORRECTION: 392 VIEWS but no one wants to contribute, seems like people are too lazy to get involved or are strictly on a mission not to share any information.

Thankyou to kenr and kemum.

Post by Guest »

Hello Guest, I think that KenR and Kenmun have more than helpful, short of giving you the paper, what info would you like? I am sorry but we are here to share experiences and help where possible, if you want more try else where.

Post by Guest »

Touchy! touchy!

Have I hit a nerve.....glad to see a response from someone else and not just the usual crowd.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now