For KeMUM oe KenR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Hi KenR/ KEMum

I applied for my son to take the exams for KEG, BV and Queen Marys and listed them in this order on the Lea form. I was wondering how the schools are allocated according to the pupils passing the exams. For eg, if a child passes all 3 exams for all these schools will he be given a choice out of 3 or is only 1 place offered for the highest achieved score out of 3.

Your vast knowledge would be very helpful. Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Suzie,

You will get offered a place at the highest placed grammar on your LEA list in which your son has reached the pass mark.

Don't forget that although there is a common entrance exam for all of the 6 KE Foundation Grammars, the pass mark varies by school. This depends on the popularity.

If your son passes the KEG school that was your 1st choice on the LEA list then you will get an offer from that school.

Did you just put one of the KEG school on your LEA list or more than one?

Ken
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Thankyou very much Ken for your prompt reply.

I have listed all 3 KEG schools.

Once again, thankyou
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi KEMum

Last minute question please.

Re: KEG test. I believe there are 2 passages the child has to read, the first passage is on proof reading. The first passage that they proof read, is it this one that they have to answer questions at end of test or is there another passage later on?

I would really appreciate if you could clarify this, from your very intelligent daughter.

Many thanks in advance
Andy
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi Andy!

Thank you for your compliments - I will relay them to my daughter.

From what I can make out the passage right at the beginning is non-fiction (or it was last year) and the children need to proof read it for errors. They then answer questions on it as the very last task that they do. There was also a second passage that was from a Roald Dahl story, but she didn't have to answer any questions on it, just state the meaning of various words within it.

It was the passage at the start that they needed to proof read and then later answer comprehension type questions on. However, these were all multiple choice, (but a lot goes on between reading the passage and the questioning part at the end).

Hope this helps. I have to admit we did very little in the week before the test - I think we got a bit sick and tired of it all.

Good luck for tomorrow - hope you will be able to put it behind you and have a restful weekend.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi KEMum

Thankyou so much for that clarification, you (and your daughter)have been a great support of information for me and and other forum users.
You certainly, helped to ease many anxieties about the test.

Hopefully, all will go well tomorrow.

Andy x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now