Saturday 8th Test Day!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
deb489

test anxiety!

Post by deb489 »

Hi
My DS sat the KE test on Saturday. He was very quiet when he came out and only said how hard he had found it (especially the VR part).

A day later he came out of his shell and told us how disappointed he was that he couldn't complete the maths and had to guess the last 4 questions as time was running out.

We had told him prior to the exam it is set out so that most children cannot complete the tests so not to be disappointed if he didnt.

Maths is his strongest subject and he was looking forward to the test and he had set himself a personal goal to finish all the maths questions without guessing.

We personally believe that our DS has done exceptional well to be in a position where he can sit grammar school test as he is ADHD and Dsylexia. DS is also home schooled.

After more conversation with our DS he seems to think that he 40/50 % of the VR and 70% in NVR and 90+% in the maths.

When we have asked our DS for estimations in the practice papers he was normally only a couple of % off.

Bishop Vesey is his first choice and he seemed to be a bit disappointed that the test wasnt more challenging and he finished the maths papers 25 mins before the end of the test. He seems to think that he done pretty well but is worried that with it being so easy and with only 45 VR questions a couple of which he knew the answers but could not spell the words it impacts his percentage greatly even though he feels he got 40/45 approx.

Only the Handsworth Grammar and Queen Marys to go looking forward to having my dining room back and free of practice papers.

Good Look Everyone.

Very Happy
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hello to everyone whos Dc's sat the KE test last saturday,

My son took the test last year.

He is a bright boy and we did not heavily tutor him ( the battles to send him to a tutor more more stressful than the test itself)

Anyway , just to reassure all of you- he came out of the test and said

VR - had to guess half the words
maths- mental section was fine , but the problems solving was really hard and he did not complete the questions.

Maths is his strongest subject, esp problems .

He was convinced he had not done well.

what you have to remember is that all the children will have found it extemely hard , and those that didn't, good for them. There will not be 93 children who found it easier than your child .

My son got into Camphill, and by the sounds of it I don't thimk he scrapped it as there seem to be a few boys struggling with the work.

Your DC's have done their best and that's all that counts.
They are used to scoring top marks in their primary school tests, this test is not expecting 100% or even 90% just the best 93 on the day.

they will be fine

good luck to you all.

look forward to hearing your success stories in march.

mm2
sati

mm2's message

Post by sati »

Hi mm2

Thanks for very reassurring words. My son sat this test and all his school friends found it difficult.

To all the parents and children - we are all in the same boat and we have all done our best and now just have to wait.

As there are only a certain no of places, if you get in - then congratulations and if you don't - you've your best (can't do any better) and it is not the end of the world.
za1

Question Mike1880

Post by za1 »

Hi Mike1880

We were invited to the Open Day at KES on Saturday.....however we can't attend due to my son's test at Handsworth Grammar.

Just a question if I may - why did you decide against Handsworth Grammar? I ask this because a friend of ours were also loathe to enter Handsworth Grammar on the preference form 'due to its location'.

My answer was to jus look at the school league tables and the results for GCSEs grades A-C.......the grammar schools and independent schools all come in over 90% - Handsworth the lowest at 92% last year. Then simply compare this to the comprehensive schools......our local comprehensive was 38%.

I'm interested in peoples perception of Handsworth Grammar.......by all accounts , it is a top school and the results bear this out. I would obviously prefer my son to get a place at the KE schools or Bishop Vesey - but I would still be well chuffed if he 'only' got a place at Handsworth.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi za1.. don't have personal experience of Handsworth but live in the area so familar with location.... certainly no worse than that of KE Handsworth... which is practically in Lozells and KE Aston is not located where you would want your son to be wandering around. Indeed the Prospectus states that boys should keep to the designated routes to and from school as these are patrolled by police. A friend has a son in the 6th form and has conformed this and mentioned a stabbing outside the school.

Having said that, I have heard local reports of fighting at Handsworth Grammar... a relative drives past on her way to work and told me she recently witnessed a group of boys kicking another boy who was on the ground outside the school. Parents of the primary school children located opposite HG also tell of incidents of fighting. I have no experience of boys' schools and this behaviour could well be the norm in such a presumably competitive and testosterone fuelled environment.

Not trying to put you off, just passing on what I've heard. My son sits 11+ next year and I'll go to the open day and see it for myself.
za1

Post by za1 »

Hi Clarendon

Thanks for your feedback......and no I'm not put off by this. It's obviously not ideal...but I think we pamper kids far too much these days and it may not do them harm to learn to fend for themselves. I certainly would not want my son to get into any fights (he is a shy lad anyway).....but I am hoping he would learn the social skills/diplomacy/attitude etc that would help avoid these situations. I see parents drop off their 16 year old kids at the independent schools in the posher areas of the city never mind Handsworth.....why? So lazy! I don't want to go into the 'when I was a lad' stories...but...
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi mm2 and thank you for your kind words ... is your son enjoying Chill?

Regards, Clarendon
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi Clarendon

Yes, DS has settled in very well. As for enjoying , as much as a boy will admit to "enjoying" school.

I was very happily surprised at how well the school gently eased the boys into BIG school life.
The Head of Year 7 is amazing, and has a real understanding of the big transition for junior school to secondary school. He understands the chaos for boys and parents alike in adapting to a new way of life.

DS didn't know anyone at the school, and has made many friends.

All is fine so far, who knows , keep fingers crossed it stays that way. He has a way of finding trouble, so take each day at a time .

HAve do this all again next year for DD!!!
will have no hair left at the end of that
fm

Post by fm »

To Za1,

Yes, I have heard all these rumours and negative comments about Handsworth Boys. I have never visited it because my own son wasn't capable of grammar school. I just wish he had been because, as you say, while the results may not be up to KE level, they are a dash sight better than the comp. my son attends and I can't believe the intake is any worse than my son has encountered and survived, I'm proud to say.

Each year I have a pupil who doesn't make the King Edward schools (usually because he isn't much of a reader) and has 'to make do' with Handsworth. They are often my nicest pupils (certainly have been for the last 3 years) and the feedback I've received from parents has always been positive i.e. child very happy, child doing well. Never any mention of physical intimidation, certainly. The only real negative I've heard is the lack of homework compared with the KE's but then this may not be a negative with some children.

I also have 2 friends with direct experience of Handsworth. One has a boy there and a boy at Camp Hill--she says the teachers are a lot more supportive at Handsworth where her boy has just had a clutch of A* and A's. He also stayed on for 6th form (he could have moved anywhere) so that is a vote of confidence. The other friend has a boy on scholarship at KES and a younger one at Handsworth; she also speaks highly of it, saying it has worked wonders for her youngest.

If you were happy with it, go for it. I wish your boy luck in the exam on Saturday.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Hi za1; we didn't opt for either Handsworth or Aston for the same reason - combination of the difficulty of travel arrangements from where we are, and the area in which our slightly off-planet son might wander if he missed a bus or missed a stop or whatever. In the case of Handsworth there are also indications, both on this forum and in the Ofsted report, of some behaviour problems. Bishop Vesey made it to no.3 instead as a very last minute choice based purely on simplicity of travel arrangements (for him on a daily basis, I hasten to add, not for us to attend events or go and retrieve him if he gets concussed or something) and because I'd rather he found himself in Four Oaks than Handsworth when he buries his nose in a book and forgets to get off the train (and he will!).

Is that 38% with or without English and Maths? Our local comp is an apparently solid 53% 5 A-C but if you look at the number including English and Maths (so you strip out some so-called "equivalents" and a bit get closer to actual GCSE results) it's - 13%!!!

Mike