Countdown to 2nd March!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

I totally agree re friendships etc. It is a very difficult time for all, especially if you as a parent feel that the other options are not good, should your ds/dd not get in. Everyone becomes so single minded(for obvious reasons!!) I sat up waiting recently for my youngests school allocation to middle school (worcs!!) I found out via the website at midnight. I will do the same for my dd. Most of her friends will find out via website so for us it will be better to wake her up with the news!!(at 7am, not before!!) I guess the only thing that we can think is that whatever happens, we obviously are supportive and thinking parents who will help our children in the best way that we can whether they get in to chosen schools or not. Fingers crossed!!!!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Ah, so since they claim not to recognise my email address (despite sending me an email confirmation of our application :? ) that might mean I'm won't get an email! Thanks for the warning, it might have caused all sorts of trauma if I decided to wait up for it and it didn't arrive...

I'm more concerned with other parents than with other children; there seems to be a small number of parents at every school who consider it acceptable to make rude remarks about children in their hearing. I don't know whether that makes them feel better about themselves, or their own children, or whether it just doesn't occur to them that children have ears and feelings.

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

I am amazed how triumphant the parents of successful children sometimes become. Perhaps it is the sheer relief of winning the prize makes them oblivious of the feelings of those that have lost out.
blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

I so agree. I've already had it from a recently successful parent /applicant of a very sought after girls school who has just been accepted, and thinks nothing of criticising every other selective school around. I am so biting my tongue at the moment. I find it appalling and so rude that people don't think before speaking about the implications on child and parents still waiting!!
ews147

Post by ews147 »

oops! Feel I may be guilty of this... :oops: I told everyone I could find the day after my son got his results -but none of the parents had entered their child for this particular test ,so I thought they might celebrate with me...alot of them did, but I could feel a few prickles as well! To be honest though, I just didn't care ..we havent had much to celebrate over the last few years and I was making the most of this! :lol:I really couldn't help myself..
I will be more sensitive on March 2nd though as I know so much hangs on these results for everyone involved..
fm

Post by fm »

I remember 'prickling' a bit when my son was at 11+ stage in 2001. He did not do the exam as GS was inappropriate for him and he was subsequently awarded a place at a comprehensive with 17% success rate at GCSE (2nd bottom in Birmingham). Several parents of successful 11+ entrants more than implied that this would be the right school for my son (whereas I would say the less bright the child, the better school they need). Even the parents of failed 11+ candidates (some friends) clearly believed it was much worse for their children to go to a failing school than my less bright son who hadn't entered the exam at all.
But still I recognised I was more fortunate than most parents in my situation because I had enough gift of the gab to win an appeal for a halfway decent comprehensive and, if I hadn't managed this, he would have stayed at home until I found a place.
ews147

Post by ews147 »

I see where your coming from FM. When I said their children hadn't taken the particular exam I thought it would mean they wouldn't feel their child had 'failed' it !
However, all said and done, I am a single parent working full time on a very modest income, who has struggled (as others have) to get my son to do practise papers - there has been no private tutor - couldnt afford one! So hopefully, people I know can forgive me for sharing my good news...I like to think I would manage to sum up some good will to someone else of similar circumstances... but maybe I wouldn't, who knows?
ews147

Post by ews147 »

Just to say, I truly wish everyone the best for March 2nd...there are so many lovely parents on this site - you and your kids really deserve it.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think you're entitled to celebrate your son's achievement, ews147. If it was a sporting achievement there wouldn't be any issue but for some reason when it's about intellectual ability and effort it's a problem for some people. Equally, I know exactly the sort of thing fm is talking about (that's why I made my original comment). But if it's not about gloating or making judgements about other peoples' children then I should hope we can encourage celebration; after all, we must all be elitists or we wouldn't be here!!!

Mike
ews147

Post by ews147 »

Thanks Mike - you are a gentleman.

I know you have had some disappointments, which makes your sentiment all the more noble.We are all willing that ink on the paper to have good news for you and your son in March.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now