Bishop Veesey - Sat Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GettingThere

Bishop Veesey - Sat Exam

Post by GettingThere »

Hello, had some children at my son's school who sat the tets on saturday, with a view of dry run for the KEG in Nov. How is this going to help them, are the exams for KEG similar in format, ie 45mins x2 and mostly multi choice? Is there anything that I should be worried about since I didn't enter my son? Would like help if possible.

Post by Guest »

What area are you from? No - it would not have helped your child as they are two very different exams. Bishop Vesey is NFER and KE is University of Durham. Both exams will be very different.

People keep asking what harm does it do to let children sit the exam for a school they are not attending. From a Sutton Coldfield point of view - many of us did not get a local test centre as places were taken up by children not even wanting the places - this meant a early start not a relaxing morning for the children genuingly applying. Other parents in the area were put off by the high number of applicants and felt their children would not stand a chance. Whether true or not, there is a rumour of 2200 children who sat the exam this year. My son brought this story home from school and was terrified!! His confidence was knocked before he even went in (and he is top of year). Yes - we have the option of taking the King Edwards exam but as it is so far away not many in our area apply - those that do are near the busstops or have help.

I am sorry to rant about this subject but to many of our children this is a exciting dream to gain a place at this school - however many of you treat it as a trial for KE and keep slating it in comparrison.

Also KE use a different exam from the University to try and filter the over - tutered children and I am sure they would be horrified to know that people use another school in this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are looking for natural cleverness.
GettingThere

Post by GettingThere »

Hey buddy, I couldn't agree more, and that's the point I made to the person that asked whether or not I had entered my son. I don't want to use a school (we're in Solihull) that is too far away and abuse the rules for selfish reasons. As you said the tests are different, apples and oranges.... I hope BVS stop this abuse in the fture somehow !!

Post by Guest »

Thank you - I thought I was alone in my reasoning. Lovely area Solihull - I grew up there. Good luck for King Edwards.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I lived in Solihull too and went to KEHS - bus used to go from Acock's Green then but it goes from Solihull now. There were quite a few from Sutton Coldfield there - they used to get the train to New Street and then the bus along the Bristol road

Post by Guest »

Did not say no one went from Sutton Coldfield - just not many as 1) we have a local grammar school and 2) in our case my son would leave the house at 7.10 am for a 15 minute walk to bus stop to catch a 7.25am bus!!! Some people would not have a problem with this but IN OUR CASE we do - therefore simple, try for Local Grammar school or be happy with the local comp. We are not so desparate for a grammar that we will sacrifice all else and resort to desperate measures.

Post by Guest »

Forgot to mention - it would also be a bus ride to train station so this is not an option!!!!!!
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

I couldn't agree more about travelling to school! There are children who travel from places like Stourbridge and Kidderminster to KE Camp Hill - and Solihull. In fact, there is a bus that travels up to the far north of Birmingham to Camp Hill - I am not terribly familiar with North Birmingham, so I am not sure of the name. The bus also goes to Walsall.

I don't believe that we should become too parochial about where our children go to school either - after all we are all tax payers - but I think it is a pity when children live such a long way away. It is hard for them to join in social activities, because they can't get to others houses. My older daughter has a friend who lives about 9/10 miles away which seems a terribly long way to travel every day (she lives in Solihull, actually).