More KEG Rumours

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DavidC

More KEG Rumours

Post by DavidC »

Hello, I thought I'd let you in on the home-time playground gossip I overheard. One mother to another mother;
" I am told that this years registrations numbers for the five KEG schools is down to about 600 kids, unlike last year"

" How do you know?" asks the inquisitive mother, who has registered her daughter for the test.

"My sister-in-law has a freind who knows someone who works at the offices of the foundation and she told me"

I thought, uummm., interesting, since the closing date was 6th Oct, how did this person have the info already, and what else doew she have ansight into regarding the test. Cnaces are these are mind games being played out in the playground by uptight mothers - handbags at noon!

On a serious note though, are the numbers expected to come down or climb, what is the trend from previous years?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi David

I think the total number of applicants for previous years for each of the KE Foundation Schools are published in the Birmingham LEA booklet.

Your Playground comments sounds like a rumour to me!

I only have the figures for KE Five Ways for the last couple of years.

The total number of applicants who put Five Ways somewhere on their LEA list has remained fairly constant, 1655 last year and 1662 for 2005 entry.

For the 2005 entry, 374 boys and 254 girls made Five Ways their 1st choice. (Your can get the figures from the Annual Report to Governors from the School Web site).

For 2006 entry, there were 1085 and 1244 applicants for KE Camp Hill Boys and KE Aston respectively.

Interestingly, the closing date for some of the LEAs is not until the 3rd Nov (Worcs for example) - so the number of actuial candidates(as opposed to those who have applied for the exam) might still change.
Firey Jack

Post by Firey Jack »

This seems to me to be a classic case of Chinese whispers.

What are we to make of an overheard conversation about someone's sister - in - law's friend who knows someone (friend/acquaintance? - not specified) who works at the office....?

Hmm - this kind of stuff is an excellent example of why people get stressed unnecessarily - better to stick to facts if possible. Regardless of the tenuous nature of the source, what is the realistic possibility that applications are down by such a huge proportion?.....very low it seems to me - it may give some hopeful and gullible parents a little more reason to be cheerful - but don't be astounded if it turns out to give off a faint whiff of bovine excrement…
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now