Solihull Independent School Vs King Edwards Aston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abs786

Solihull Independent School Vs King Edwards Aston

Post by Abs786 »

Hi
My son has a place at KE Aston which we are delighted about but he also has a full assisted place at Solihull Independent School. I am in a dilemma about where to send him, can anyone please advise.

Many Thanks :D
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I have pm'd you.
Abs786

Post by Abs786 »

Thanks

KES Parent and Za1, I live closer to Solihull for this year I do not have to pay anything. I also had a full fee place at KES but I can not afford that.

Abs786
za1

Post by za1 »

ABs786

Then you have a nice choice! Both are excellent schools. You can't go wrong. Which school does your son prefer? He must have got some vibes from visiting the two schools.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Solihull school is very impressively glossy, with lots of new facilities, and has only recently started admitting girls below the sixth form which has no doubt come as a shock to some of the teachers! (conversely KE Aston is boys only) I don't know how common full-fee paid places are (your son must have really impressed them - which means he will no doubt do very well wherever he goes, they're not daft!) but my impression (based on those I know) is that many of the parents there are quite well off whereas the 2004 Ofsted report for Aston notes "Pupils come from a wide range of social and economic backgrounds, including about a quarter from disadvantaged circumstances". Some at Solihull School will be second or third generation Silhillians, although there is also some "new" money (there was a Radio 4 documentary on Solihull a few weeks ago which illustrated the point). There are a number of expensive trips on offer at Solihull - would your son feel deprived if he couldn't join in these? Or would they be a real inspiration for him to save up his pocket money? Or would the school discreetly help towards the cost? Also you would need to check whether extras such as music lessons etc are included - at KE Aston you would benefit from the excellent Birmingham Music Service lessons which I believe are subsided or even free. I notice KE Aston is a Sports College, while some of my son's friends were attracted to Solihull for 6th form for its Rugby...
for this year I do not have to pay anything
- does that mean you would have to pay more in future years?

You should certainly take plenty of time to visit both schools again, preferably during a normal school day with your son, test out the travel options, and assuming the financial anxieties for the future are allayed, go with his/ your gut feeling as to where he would fit in best. As a "local" I'm sure Solihull would be a better location for your after-school shopping trips (!) but I'm sure that won't be the deciding factor...
Abs786

Post by Abs786 »

Thank you all we are visiting Solihull school tomorrow. To have a look around.

We will also go to KE Aston later.

Abs786
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now