BHS or DCHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: BHS or DCHS

Post by anotherdad »

I've just seen that your daughter is also doing tests for Surrey, as well as those you've mentioned for Berkshire.

I cannot see how you can possibly describe your planned move to Bucks as genuine if you're also applying for schools in two other areas. Your actions could end up displacing a genuine applicant to those Bucks schools you're interested in. You're playing games with the system and I'm not going to help you any further with that.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Having known someone who has openly played the system like this, renting houses at last minute, etc etc.. I have to admit I do find tactics like this appalling.
Yet another reason why I have come to loathe this seriously flawed selection system, it truly does bring out the worst in some people :cry:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Agreed. One can only hope that if people are playing the system, they get found out and places withdrawn. When we get a flurry of disappointed parents on results day, with scores of 120.xx and a genuine application to Bucks schools riding on it, it's tempting to point them to threads like these where Bucks is being used as a back-up and if the back-up child has qualified, has almost certainly deprived a genuine applicant of a qualifying space.

I take some comfort in knowing that people from Bucks CC do look at this site, as do head teachers. mgm3 has divulged enough information to give them a head-start should they wish to check the validity of the house move and application. There can't be many families with a daughter moving from Basingstoke to somewhere within a few miles of one of just two schools in the last two weeks of October.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Indeed. I do hope that is the case. I recall reading somewhere, about school places having been withdrawn in the county, and how one particular blatantly obvious case, had actually won their appeal to stay, on the basis that siblings were also at the school, and although they too had gained their places with dishonest manoeuvre, it was deemed unfair to punish the children further. It’s quite galling really, but ultimately the children of these people, do suffer. Trafficking your child as some Home Counties 11plus tourist, with all the frenzied preparation and pressure I’m sure it must entail, not to mention the moonlight flits into last minute strategically placed ‘homes’, must surely take some toll on a child’s well being. Very sad indeed.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I agree with all the above sentiments but I still can't understand how one can find a property suitable for a family within a 2 week timeframe!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BlueBerry wrote:I agree with all the above sentiments but I still can't understand how one can find a property suitable for a family within a 2 week timeframe!
And a new school for the rest of year 6
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

anotherdad wrote:Agreed. One can only hope that if people are playing the system, they get found out and places withdrawn. When we get a flurry of disappointed parents on results day, with scores of 120.xx and a genuine application to Bucks schools riding on it, it's tempting to point them to threads like these where Bucks is being used as a back-up and if the back-up child has qualified, has almost certainly deprived a genuine applicant of a qualifying space.

I take some comfort in knowing that people from Bucks CC do look at this site, as do head teachers. mgm3 has divulged enough information to give them a head-start should they wish to check the validity of the house move and application. There can't be many families with a daughter moving from Basingstoke to somewhere within a few miles of one of just two schools in the last two weeks of October.
It's worse than depriving one genuine applicant it's more like 2 or 3. As Bucks selects the top third there will be at least two unsuccessful student for each qualifier and more in Bucks where nearly everyone takes the test [25% qualifying is more common].
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

BlueBerry wrote:I agree with all the above sentiments but I still can't understand how one can find a property suitable for a family within a 2 week timeframe!
It is probably an easier and far more prevalent practice than we think. The family we knew who were openly touristing for a place, had researched well ahead. Having chosen their target schools and locations, they then set about securing a series of potential ‘addresses’. This was partly courtesy of large extended family and various addresses that were ‘shared’ between them in pursuit of the same, and a rental property that was lined up ‘just in case’.
Interestingly, and much to some of our neighbour’s curiosity, having retired abroad some years ago, an old neighbours house is now a rental property. Perfect small family home, not too pricey, prime catchment area for a range of schools. There have now been two families in succession, who have moved into the property with children starting at the local GS schools that September. The current family that are there, apparently had their home in another county on the market, while one parent moved in with the yr 6 child and secured a place in a local primary. At that stage, the school upheaval is probably not considered a problem, and the other parent remained at their other home, with a younger child, whom they presumably either didn’t want to move at that point, or couldn’t get a primary place. I’m not sure how it might work logistically, but I’m sure it is well planned, and any family upheaval and undue pressure on the child, are considered a small price to pay.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

If I suspect someone of playing address games, I just drop an email to the admissions team at Bucks CC. It's up to them to look into it if they wish to.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

I suspect all us Bucks parents have similar tales but this I did find particularly galling.

I had a conversation with a mum in March at a social event – “we are on waiting list for X Bucks GS – have rented a house across the road from school & are first on waiting list – DC still going to primary in Newbury with siblings – if we don’t get Bucks GS it will be alright as we have been allocated an Outstanding Comprehensive within walking distance of our current house. If we get Bucks GS then we will move the family”

I had to walk away as we all know Bucks non qualifiers do not have the choice of an outstanding comprehensive.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now