Applying to Bucks Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Applying to Bucks Schools

Post by scary mum »

It explains a lot of the Harrow/Rayners Lane/Pinner applicants, but they could still look up the admissions criteria & previous allocations!
scary mum
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

That is amazing. I too have sent a message requesting an update to their website.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Wow! No wonder this forum is getting such influx of posts from those who are in the Harrow area!
Last edited by BlueBerry on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

And now the Harrow website team will be getting an influx of emails pointing out the misinformation they are spreading :)
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Reading Mum wrote:And now the Harrow website team will be getting an influx of emails pointing out the misinformation they are spreading :)
I absolutely agree with all posts here but i'm not sure 'misinformation' is the right word?

The website states:
"We have listed below the non-Harrow schools which Harrow's residents have applied for previously, however this is not an exclusive list."

They are just stating which schools, Harrow residents have applied to.

It is wrong of them to do that when they stand virtually a zero chance of a place at many of those schools!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The definition of misinformation is false or misleading information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Harrow is certainly guilty of misleading information: whilst they have put that it is a "list of non-Harrow schools which Harrow's residents have applied for previously", the implication is certainly "have applied for and received a place at previously" (my italics).

Whether they deliberatlety intend to deceive Harrow residents is a moot point when they are listing schools whose own admissions criteria clearly show that Harrow residents have more chance of landing on the moon than getting a place at. The Admissions team at Harrow have a responsibility to ensure that the information they are displaying on their website is accurate and clear, unambigious and easily understood I'm not sure they have met that responsibility....
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The definition of misinformation is false or misleading information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Harrow is certainly guilty of misleading information: whilst they have put that it is a "list of non-Harrow schools which Harrow's residents have applied for previously", the implication is certainly "have applied for and received a place at previously" (my italics).

Whether they deliberatlety intend to deceive Harrow residents is a moot point when they are listing schools whose own admissions criteria clearly show that Harrow residents have more chance of landing on the moon than getting a place at. The Admissions team at Harrow have a responsibility to ensure that the information they are displaying on their website is accurate and clear, unambigious and easily understood I'm not sure they have met that responsibility....
Valid points!
Sounds like they are also trying to relieve the pressure on Harrow schools?
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

rhiane wrote:I absolutely agree with all posts here but i'm not sure 'misinformation' is the right word?
Would you be happier with the word 'misleading'?

I would love to know why they have provided a list of schools outside the area that children have previously applied to . Surely it would be of more value to parents if they provided a list of schools outside the area that have actually allocated places to Harrow residents in recent years.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

rhiane wrote:Sounds like they are also trying to relieve the pressure on Harrow schools?
They're not going to achieve that by listing schools that people have no hope of being allocated.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

However, the fact that Harrow residents may have been allocated places at these schools in previous years does not guarantee places in the current admissions round. Parents intending to apply to any school, particularly those at some distance from their home address, are advised to look very carefully at the admissions criteria for each school.

Just a thought. Wouldn't take up too much bandwidth, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now