Moving to Marlow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Moving to Marlow

Post by ToadMum »

Even if this isn't a five letter word beginning with T thread, OP, you do realise that as a parent, it is your responsibility to arrange for your school-age DC to receive an education, in school or otherwise? So even if you do manage to move house within the next ten days, if that means leaving them without a school place, 'home education' must actually involve the 'education' bit.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:According to your earlier posts (this week), you were hoping for Burnham grammar and before that, Herschel. Have you made concrete plans to move house? I wonder where your son will complete his primary education?
You’ve omitted Reading and QE boys from that list.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am thinking of proposing a new section for the forum, in the regional bit, entitled 'Any Grammar, Anywhere'. In there parents could find, as a handy reference, details of all the grammar schools in the country, with their residence requirements, test dates, a list of local tutors, bus and train routes, as well as estate agents, primary schools and GPs. That way people whose primary ambition in life is to get their child into a grammar school at any cost will not need to turn to lots of different regional forums where they might find confusing or conflicting advice, but would have it all in one place. A sort of one-stop-shop for 11+ tourists. What do you think?

Or does anyone fancy setting up a consultancy with me to provide the same information for a large fee?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:I am thinking of proposing a new section for the forum, in the regional bit, entitled 'Any Grammar, Anywhere'. In there parents could find, as a handy reference, details of all the grammar schools in the country, with their residence requirements, test dates, a list of local tutors, bus and train routes, as well as estate agents, primary schools and GPs. That way people whose primary ambition in life is to get their child into a grammar school at any cost will not need to turn to lots of different regional forums where they might find confusing or conflicting advice, but would have it all in one place. A sort of one-stop-shop for 11+ tourists. What do you think?

Or does anyone fancy setting up a consultancy with me to provide the same information for a large fee?
You may imagine that you jest there, but sadly, I suspect we wouldn't be short of takers :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:I am thinking of proposing a new section for the forum, in the regional bit, entitled 'Any Grammar, Anywhere'. In there parents could find, as a handy reference, details of all the grammar schools in the country, with their residence requirements, test dates, a list of local tutors, bus and train routes, as well as estate agents, primary schools and GPs. That way people whose primary ambition in life is to get their child into a grammar school at any cost will not need to turn to lots of different regional forums where they might find confusing or conflicting advice, but would have it all in one place. A sort of one-stop-shop for 11+ tourists. What do you think?

You’ve been beaten to it. Some other people came up with that concept over a year ago. I can’t think who they were....

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ol#p625302
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

anotherdad wrote:
Amber wrote:According to your earlier posts (this week), you were hoping for Burnham grammar and before that, Herschel. Have you made concrete plans to move house? I wonder where your son will complete his primary education?
You’ve omitted Reading and QE boys from that list.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the Slough score, it is easy to determine that Minismart didn’t qualify for Reading.

Smart123, where in Reading do you live? (PM me if you don’t wish to say openly). I can advise on the various local secondaries, certainly on the Eastern side. As others have said, you are taking a serious risk of not getting any desirable School by trying of move after the 31st October deadline. Your DS did not qualify for Reading or Slough, so I’m guessing he didn’t for QE either.

Moving to Bucks after the deadline is very risky, as the Bucks experts are telling you. You will probably not get a Bucks GS place and will end up with an Upper School that you probably haven’t researched and quite probably don’t want.
Amber

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote:

You’ve been beaten to it. Some other people came up with that concept over a year ago. I can’t think who they were....

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ol#p625302
So they did. Their business plan was better thought through too. On the one hand I can feel sorry for some people who don't know the system. On the other I think that if you decide to enter your child for an exam, you can at least read the Ts & Cs and there really is no excuse for not doing so. Tinkers, the poster here has said that they are also posting on behalf of several others in similar situations, so it is possible that some passed some exams which others didn't. It isn't clear.

Perhaps a better idea is a section called - Grammar Schools: the reality, which starts with a sticky called 'they are just schools'. Perhaps those of us with experience of them could post some photos and anecdotes which indicate that the children in them are just children like other children (angelic, naughty, studious, lazy), that the staff are teachers like any others (good, bad, average), that the curriculum is the same as at other schools (exciting, boring, well-taught, badly taught). I could start with some photos of girls in very short skirts vaping at the bus stop and boys totally drunk and falling about in the streets after under age drinking sessions. We could play 'spot the grammar school child' in a series of mixed photos of school children. And I could share my favourite anecdote (which is true as it is a teacher at the school who told me) which is of Y9 pupils having s*x in a classroom at lunchtime - at a very well thought of GS. No one wanted to sit on the chair afterwards, which is not that surprising - the chair was given a nickname which persisted even when the furniture was moved.

Most important point - most of England does not have grammar schools. Children still get educated and go on to university and to lead normal, productive lives.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Oh yes - what a post!

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ol#p625302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

You would be very unlikely to get a place in the 2nd round. Based on last 3 years you would need to move within 3 miles of school and dispose of your current property. Then you would need to cross your fingers that a place was declined. It’s not a gamble I’d take!! You’d also be unlikely to get GMS - they haven’t offered all catchment for years and have now amended their admissions policy so catchment siblings get priority. You may get JHGS in second round but realistically you’d get Bourne End Academy.

Renting in Marlow is expensive. Starting at around £1400 but realistically closer to the £2000 + end. Also from my experience (and those of friends) who’ve needed rental property for building works it is quite hard to get a property!

Primary schools would probably also be a bit of a challenge! Not sure where would have space? Bucks CC would advise.

I have children at SWBGS (don’t for get the apostrophe when writing it in full :x ) and love it but would I uproot my family, take children out of school, sell my house and rent any old house, wave goodbye to my friends and community just in case a school may possibly (but probably not) offer my child a place? You’d have to be mad!!!

If SWBGS was the right school for your child you should have moved years ago - indeed Marlow is full of many people who did just that before their children started primary (not me though I’m not that organised we just moved here because we liked the bridge, then had children and got sucked into the whole 11+ thing!)
Smart123

Post by Smart123 »

Hi thank you for the advice.i research there are very good state school around me so finger crossed .