RGS and JHGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: RGS and JHGS

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:It's not the first Bucks school to quote the phrase 'world-class' ...
Ooh, what other schools say they are world-class? PM me if you prefer but I am (again) curious! I would have thought AGS might say similar, but that is only based on some googling I needed to do a few years ago :lol: :oops:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

35 years ago I remember my father coming home from a parents' information evening at my Bucks grammar and telling me that the head had said that it was "Roedean on the rates". It's gone into family folklore as a classic all-mouth-no-trousers phrase.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thank you Mrs Chubbs, very helpful.

I suggest that you read that article, and then go and ask these schools what exactly they mean by it. Now that really would be interesting!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Another difference between the two schools is that JHGS has 5x hour-long lessons whereas RGS has shorter lessons (10x 1/2 hour? - correct me if I am wrong Bustermartin). I believe RGS do double lessons so not sure it makes any difference but I thought I would mention it.
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

Amber wrote: Do you happen to know if it is on the website at all? I would love to be able to quote it. If you have more details and don't want to derail the thread please PM me.
No, and to be honest I've a) never looked for signs of that term in RGS materials and b) have been regarding it as an "inspirational" term on par with "young gentlemen."

If anything, I suspect it says more about the RGS brand (which they've just refreshed) than it does about their operations.
Bustermartin

Post by Bustermartin »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Another difference between the two schools is that JHGS has 5x hour-long lessons whereas RGS has shorter lessons (10x 1/2 hour? - correct me if I am wrong Bustermartin). I believe RGS do double lessons so not sure it makes any difference but I thought I would mention it.
Yes they do do the 10x1/2 hour - but it seems to me that the further they go through the school, the more lessons are double. My youngest seems to have a couple of sessions of double maths and english, whereas my eldest in Year 11 seems to have almost all double lessons.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now