DCHS or CGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BuffyTy

DCHS or CGS

Post by BuffyTy »

Having researched and visited both schools for and with my DD, we are all confused about which one to choose. Both schools have their merits, so I'm interested in hearing more from parents with kids, particularly daughters, at either or both schools. My main question about CGS is whether boys are a distraction for girls or whether that environment naturally encourages girls to grow up faster. With DCHS, I'm interested about whether the rumours around pressure are true and whether the pastoral care is improving. My DD will need a nurturing school where she can grow self esteem and confidence. Thanks in advance.
anotherdad

Re: DCHS or CGS

Post by anotherdad »

I think this was answered here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p691823

Given the choice of a mixed or single-sex school I'd choose the former. Life, employment, universities are almost always mixed environments and school is preparation for all three.
Last edited by anotherdad on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

anotherdad wrote: Given the choice of a mixed or single-sex school I'd choose the former. Life, employment, universities is almost always a mixed environment and school is preparation for all three.
And I'd choose the latter, in the words of the head of my old school "life is women networking :lol: " but whatever it is down to individual choice. :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Having taught at a girls school, I'd never send a daughter to one.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote: I'd never send a daughter to one.
+1
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

+1 I did and she had a bad experience. BUT for every experience like hers, there will be a child who had a good one. So each to their own.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

My daughter did attend a girls-only secondary and thoroughly enjoyed her time there, but I maintain mixed education is better preparation for other things. hermanmunster is right though, it is a personal choice.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I went to a girls' school. I did not have a good time but it might have been similar at any school. But I didn't even consider a single sex school for my daughter. I do not find that the girls seem distracted by the boys - up till year 10, dd was a bit scathing of their immaturity; now she has friends who are boys but no interest in them beyond this.
Feegee

Post by Feegee »

I'm really interested in why the teachers on this thread wouldn't send their own daughters to an all girls school?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will PM you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now