Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 am 

Judging by some of the local posts on FB certainly there are people in Reading who consider putting down Bucks schools on their CAF. If I see them I do make the comment that they don’t have any chance of a place and give them allocations distances.

However I suspect for every one that asks (and gets told it’s not going to happen) there’s at least another who doesn’t ask and sticks it on the CAF anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 am 

Tinkers wrote:
Judging by some of the local posts on FB certainly there are people in Reading who consider putting down Bucks schools on their CAF. If I see them I do make the comment that they don’t have any chance of a place and give them allocations distances.

However I suspect for every one that asks (and gets told it’s not going to happen) there’s at least another who doesn’t ask and sticks it on the CAF anyway.

A lot of them will know older children at BGS, and so will think there is a chance, when there really isn't these days. My children have all had class mates traveling from Reading, and after all, it is an easy journey from the centre of Reading.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm 

A happy lurker indeed! And thank you for that. I did tell my child to be circumspect when starting at school just in case they encountered any of the somewhat scary "if you want to benefit from Bucks schools, move to Bucks" people! (Actual comment.) I suppose I just wanted to point out that I certainly understand where this comes from (I grew up in a county which has the same system, with all its flaws and advantages - and it was previous generations who tramped the streets to keep the grammar schools, not ours - we're just the beneficiaries or the ones stuck with such an unfair system, depending on your point of view). It is quite often a matter of luck though, isn't it, especially when catchments (or whatever the correct term is) move from eg 5 miles to 12 and back to 3.... you would try, in hope, wouldn't you?...
I can't say I haven't been tempted to post "I live in Bath and would love a place at Wycombe High.....can any of you lovely people tell me if that's going to work" :lol:
Anyway... thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm 

singlemum4 wrote:
A happy lurker indeed! And thank you for that.

Very pleased to have unearthed you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 pm 

MrsChubbs wrote:
That was referring to the possible use of different standardisations for in-County and out-of-County children. They're not doing that, because they don't have to. The Heads simply decide in advance how many in-County children they want to pass, and adjust the standardisation so that that happens. It doesn't matter how many long-distance children pass, because, as Sally-Anne has pointed out, hardly any of them will be allocated a place.
anotherdad wrote:
just change the standardisation such that distant applicants don't displace those within reasonable distance.
...is exactly what they're doing.
TBGS wrote:
A target figure of in-county qualifiers would then be agreed (likely to be based on the 2012-13 figure), following which an additional moderation exercise would be carried out. This process would involve looking at all SRP candidates in test score order starting with the 120s until the agreed number of in county qualifiers had been reached.
...is the dodgy bit surely:
anotherdad (on SRPs) wrote:
Quotas would be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8