CAF Queries

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2021EnTrY

CAF Queries

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Please I need some help of seniors/ experienecd menbers who have already filled in the CAF

I am filling in the form and have few queries.

1) Plan is either to select RGS or JH school as first priority , DS has also passed Slough 11 Plus , previously plan was, in case he was unable to qualify Bucks 11 plus he will be going to Herschel, now after the Bucks 11 plus result things are under control, so currently here is the list of schools, any comments will be appreciated on it

a) Either RGS/JH (RGS is 1.99 Miles and JH is 1.96 Miles)
b) Either RGS /JH
c) Dr Challoners Boys
d) Herschel Grammar Slough
e) Holmer Green Senior School
f) Sir Wiliam Ramsay

2) Just to reconfirm that I need to apply under Criteria 4(catchement area) and need to fill in the supplemantary form for RGS
3) What we need to write under "Additional reasons for your preference" or shall I leave it blank
4) In the Supporting Evidence they are asking for GAS/ Electricity Bill , can we use either of BT Bill, Council tax bill, Thames Water bill.

Sorry for the long post.
hermanmunster

Re: CAF Queries

Post by hermanmunster »

A while since I filled in a CAF but I am not sure that you have to state the criteria you are applying under, you are just applying, the criteria are up the LEA

Bucks want the fuel bills as they want to be sure that the whole family is really living at the property and not just a bedsit visited once a week to collect the post.

The additional reasons for preference doesn't need anything unless you want to add something - I think people have put things like "wants all girls school" etc but it doesn't affect the allocation

yes if there is a SIF fill it in
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:A while since I filled in a CAF but I am not sure that you have to state the criteria you are applying under, you are just applying, the criteria are up the LEA

Bucks want the fuel bills as they want to be sure that the whole family is really living at the property and not just a bedsit visited once a week to collect the post.

The additional reasons for preference doesn't need anything unless you want to add something - I think people have put things like "wants all girls school" etc but it doesn't affect the allocation

yes if there is a SIF fill it in
Admissions law says that parents have to be given the opportunity to state their reasons for wanting a particular school- but this can only be taken into consideration where it is relevant to the admissions criteria. So, 'Sibling is there and we want this DC to go to the same school' is only relevant (and the sibling link will be checked) where the school has a sibling policy. So local comprehensive - almost certainly relevant / superselective grammar school admitting entirely on score - not relevant (actually not permitted under the Admissions Code).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good point re sibling - just out of interest is that the only place they ask for details ? Do they ask for actual proof at some point that say
Peter Jones is the half sibling of John Smith?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:Good point re sibling - just out of interest is that the only place they ask for details ? Do they ask for actual proof at some point that say
Peter Jones is the half sibling of John Smith?
I think checking that a claimed sibling link actually refers to a child counted as a sibling under the admissions policy and is not in e.g.year 6 / 11 / 13 at the time of application, where the policy says 'not in final year at time of application' is normally part of the checking process undertaken with / by the school itself.

Tbh, I'm not sure about the 'different surname' bit - schools do usually seem to know who is a sibling under the rules and obviously there is unlikely to be a problem where the same named person with parental responsibility makes the subsequent application(s) from the same address, but since there are various permitted permutations, iyswim, it must get difficult sometimes.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Thanks all for the replies.

-- Please any comments on the order of the schools I have listed above.

I have checked the historical allocations for previous years

We don't fall under any other criteria except for the catchment. The distance has varied a lot in the previous years
2017 ---8.216 Miles
2018 ---8.462 Miles
2019 ---3.589 Miles
2020 ---4.274 Miles
2021 ---8.741 Miles

--Hope these are the straight-line distances and not the driving distances.

--Can some mention any website/ tool to calculate the exact distance from home address to School? Some websites are showing our straight line for RGS 2.1 miles are some are showing 1.99

--Hopefully we will be safe as it has not gone so low in the previous years.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The more recent ones are straight line - it did change a few years ago but I can't remember when. The council uses a mapping tool. You can use Google & pinpoint two places. Some are to a particular school gate etc.
If you are that close you should be fine, I would have thought.
scary mum
thisisap76

Post by thisisap76 »

My DS has qualified CEM, GL and also QE.

Our likely preference order is as follows :
1. QE (school takes based on rank no catchment)
2. Wiliam Borlase
3. John Hampden
4. Upton Court (school takes 1st 120 based on rank no catchment)
5. Burnham Grammar

If we dont get QE and William Borlase in the 1st Allocation then can we still get John Hampden (we are in catchment) like others who may have written JHGS as top preference ?

PLease let me know
pn8572

Post by pn8572 »

thisisap76 wrote:My DS has qualified CEM, GL and also QE.

Our likely preference order is as follows :
1. QE (school takes based on rank no catchment)
2. Wiliam Borlase
3. John Hampden
4. Upton Court (school takes 1st 120 based on rank no catchment)
5. Burnham Grammar

If we dont get QE and William Borlase in the 1st Allocation then can we still get John Hampden (we are in catchment) like others who may have written JHGS as top preference ?

PLease let me know
Yes. that's right.
You will get offered the first school from TOP to DOWN in your CAF list, where all the criteria are satisfied. I hope your 6th choice is a local state school as a backup.
PP
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Sorry for asking again as I am finalizing the CAF

Do we need to mention all the 6 schools

We are in the catchment of both RGS (1.99 miles) and JH (1.96miles), Shall i list only these two on the CAF?

Dr Challoner (Boys) we are not in catchment ( do I still need to mention that)

Herschel is in slough approx 30 min journey ( so 30+ 30+30+30 ) 2 hours each day for next 7 years

Holmer Green Senior School (3.61 miles) Based on the postcode provided, you are outside of catchment for Holmer Green Senior School. For 2021 entry at Year 7, no applicants outside of catchment were offered a place.

Sir William Ramsey (2.25miles ) Based on the postcode provided, you are outside of catchment for Sir William Ramsay School. For 2021 entry at Year 7, all applicants outside of catchment were offered a place.

Comments will be much appreciated.