Buckinghamshire Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
compu

Buckinghamshire Grammar schools

Post by compu »

Guys,

Really sorry if this been answered many times before but I am totally lost, hence this question

I live in Luton and looking to apply Buckinghamshire Grammar school for 11+ for my son in 2022. I am planning to move to school nearby once he qualifies
My questions are
- Is this even possible that you can apply while living far and move if your son qualifies?
- I am assuming I am not late yet in application process?
- Any pointers towards the key dates and application process

Apologies if this been asked and answered before but if someone can answer my questions and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Buckinghamshire Grammar schools

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum.
Is this even possible that you can apply while living far and move if your son qualifies?
By entering your son for the test you are not applying to the school, anyone can sit the test (anyone can apply for the schools too, but it doesn't mean they will get in). The school application has to be in by October 31st 2022 and the results come out in the middle of October (this year it was October 15th). In theory you can move in this time but in practice 2 weeks or so is rarely enough time to move. Buckinghamshire has very strict rules on what will be accepted as proof of moving - you can check these on the Buckinghamshire Council website.
I am assuming I am not late yet in application process?
No, you can apply for your son to sit the exam next year (the dates will be on the website in due course but you will still be able to see last year's dates at the moment)
Any pointers towards the key dates and application process
All the information you need is on the Buckinghamshire Council website. However you would apply through your local council & would then have to submit your change of address to Bucks, with proof that you are living in the new place (electricity bills showing use, rental agreement for a certain length of time) and that you have severed links with your previous address. You would also need to find a new primary school for your daughter & any siblings for the rest of the school year.
Useful websites:
Information about the grammar school testing process
The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools website.

In summary it is much better to commit to any area beforehand, move well in advance and accept that you may not get a grammar school for your daughter, so choose somewhere with decent Upper Schools.
(Edited once awake properly!)
scary mum
compu

Post by compu »

scary mum wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Is this even possible that you can apply while living far and move if your son qualifies?
By entering your son for the test you are not applying to the school, anyone can sit the test (anyone can apply for the schools too, but it doesn't mean they will get in). The school application has to be in by October 31st 2022 and the results come out in the middle of October (this year it was October 15th). In theory you can move in this time but in practice 2 weeks or so is rarely enough time to move. Buckinghamshire has very strict rules on what will be accepted as proof of moving - you can check these on the Buckinghamshire Council website.
No, you can apply for your son to sit the exam next year (the dates will be on the website in due course but you will still be able to see last year's dates at the moment)
All the information you need is on the Buckinghamshire Council website. However you would apply through your local council & would then have to submit your change of address to Bucks, with proof that you are living in the new place (electricity bills showing use, rental agreement for a certain length of time) and that you have severed links with your previous address. You would also need to find a new primary school for your daughter & any siblings for the rest of the school year.
Useful websites:

In summary it is much better to commit to any area beforehand, move well in advance and accept that you may not get a grammar school for your daughter, so choose somewhere with decent Upper Schools.

Thanks for replying. The more I read, the more i get confused. :(

- My Son is currently in Year 5. My understanding is that he will need to appear for test in year 2022 (Oct) when he is in start of year 6. Is this understanding correct?
- The urlyou shared says "September 2022 entry.". Is this applicable to him? If yes, then the deadline mentioned on this page (The registration deadline was 3pm on 24 June 2021) has already passed :(. Am I mistaken here?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If he is in year 5 now then he will be going into year 7 in 2023 - so the deadline for you will be sometime in the summer of 2022
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

compu wrote:
scary mum wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Useful websites:

Thanks for replying. The more I read, the more i get confused. :(

- My Son is currently in Year 5. My understanding is that he will need to appear for test in year 2022 (Oct) when he is in start of year 6. Is this understanding correct?
- The urlyou shared says "September 2022 entry.". Is this applicable to him? If yes, then the deadline mentioned on this page (The registration deadline was 3pm on 24 June 2021) has already passed :(. Am I mistaken here?
That was why I said
(the dates will be on the website in due course but you will still be able to see last year's dates at the moment
but I quite understand the confusion :) When I say "last year" I mean the most recent round of 11 plus/applications, so in fact should probably have said "this year". I told you it was early!
scary mum
compu

Post by compu »

scary mum wrote:... I told you it was early!
Thanks for replying. We have already started preparing for the exam, but do you think our plan of moving to catchment area once he is offered admission is flawed?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

She won't be offered admission from Luton, so that's not a possibility.
The problem is that you either need to move sooner rather than later, or between the middle & end of October, and be able to prove that you have moved completely & irrevocably, which is virtually impossible.
(When I said it was early I meant it was very early in the morning when I was replying)
scary mum
compu

Post by compu »

scary mum wrote:She won't be offered admission from Luton, so that's not a possibility.
The problem is that you either need to move sooner rather than later, or between the middle & end of October, and be able to prove that you have moved completely & irrevocably, which is virtually impossible.
Yeah. got your point. In two weeks, it is almost impossible to move. I have to look sooner I guess.
scary mum wrote:

(When I said it was early I meant it was very early in the morning when I was replying)
Understood. I just didn't want to quote the whole message to save space.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now