12+ Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
in Turmoil

12 + Admissions

Post by in Turmoil »

Voice of reason as ever Sally-Anne!

My frustrations with admissions are my own.

IT
In Turmoil
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

The actual letter from the Admissions Manager said: "I will write to you again by 15 May to let you know whether it has been possible to offer a place at one of your preferred grammar schools". So from that I was assuming that we would actually get the letter by or on Friday.

Oh well, it will be hear soon enough....
many thanks
dejavu
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Sorry, I meant "here" - obviously it's getting to me!
many thanks
dejavu
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dejavu wrote:The actual letter from the Admissions Manager said: "I will write to you again by 15 May to let you know whether it has been possible to offer a place at one of your preferred grammar schools". So from that I was assuming that we would actually get the letter by or on Friday.

Oh well, it will be hear soon enough....
As I have mentioned many times before, all dates quoted by Admissions are the dates of posting, not the date you can expect to receive the letter, and it is a constant source of confusion. Schools have even been known to set deadlines for acceptance of alternative 12+ school places based on the date quoted in the letter, not realising that the date quoted is the date of posting.

I really wish that Admissions would change the wording. "I will send a letter to you on, or before, 15 May ... etc" would be clearer. The even clearer but less grammatical option (in the third person), would be "A letter will be posted to you on 15 May ...".

It seems like such a little thing to change and would save all concerned some trouble. If anyone in Admissions should happen to read this, how about it? :D

Sally-Anne
zee

Post by zee »

Sally-Anne wrote:The even clearer but less grammatical option (in the third person), would be "A letter will be posted to you on 15 May ...".
There's nothing ungrammatical about the passive voice example you cite :shock:. Whilst too much passive can be harder to understand, sometimes it is preferable and sometimes it's the only way to express something.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

zee wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:The even clearer but less grammatical option (in the third person), would be "A letter will be posted to you on 15 May ...".
There's nothing ungrammatical about the passive voice example you cite :shock:. Whilst too much passive can be harder to understand, sometimes it is preferable and sometimes it's the only way to express something.
Indeed Zee - I think I am becoming a slave to the Grammar and Spelling Checker in MS Word! It doesn't seem to comprehend the passive/third person voice at all.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sally-Anne

I can't believe anyone in an over-worked Admissions team would have the time or inclination to read this forum.

Although I do agree that your suggestion is a good one :D
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Fingers are in complete agony and toes crumpled, I can't keep them crossed any longer - HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD ANYTHING :?:

Why is there no action on this part of the Forum, why are you all keeping it such a secret, they said you would hear by 15 May and IT IS NOW 15TH MAY, don't you realise :lol:

Agitated Ambridge
mummog

Post by mummog »

Calm yourself now Ambridge. Close your eyes and repeat after me 'ommmmmmm'

There now, doesn't that feel better?

Mmg x
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Fab thanks and I can even cross my legs as I do it - ohmmmmmmmmmmm
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now