KS2 levels

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hey ho, I am bitter and twisted, and feel as if we were treated badly, I'm sure others who were succesful imagine the process works very well.
Ha, yes. Well it’s a great system if it works for you, and a terrible one if it doesn’t. :lol:

I think what causes all the anguish is the lack of transparency: it surely should be possible to have a robust system where criteria such as SATs, CATs, school books, reading age, or whatever else have a part to play, and exactly what part they play is subject to certain objective controls.

Where it is left to individual panels to make the decision as to what weight to give different criteria, you are always going to have unfairness.
andyb

Post by andyb »

andyb wrote:
Guest55 wrote:andyb - You could ask for the marks as we were even given the papers by our DC's Primary school.
I've done that today - purely out of curiosity really to see how the marks were split - just how bad was his written work in comparison with his reading :wink:
Well, I'm glad I asked - there's not such a big discrepancy between the tasks as I was expecting - a miniscule amount more effort in the writing would have put him in the L5 bracket :D
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

It's interesting how a very little change in marks can cause a couple of sub-levels change in overall level.

I've been double marking Yr 4 optional sats. A difference of about 3 marks (say 10% of the total), could mean a two sub-level change in the end of year results. As a two sub-level increase is what we are looking for to show reasonable progress in a year.

Thankfully we're moving away from that sort of marking, but any system of marking is liable to inconsistencies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now