Yr7,8,9 admissions DCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I didn't see the advert, SN, but I am pretty certain from the wording of the school's newsletter that you would need to be in catchment before sitting the test.

I suspect that the majority of applicants will be catchment boys who did not get offered DCGS at 11+ allocation (the usual dozen or so from Gerrards Cross), or got an alternative GS place at 12+, but would have been allocated DCGS had they passed the first time.

S-A
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

It wasn’t explicit in the advert, but I agree with Sally-Anne’s reading of the school newsletter that it only applies to catchment.

Interesting that the advert didn’t mention 11+ or 12+, only SATs results.

Sally-Anne, is this the same situation as you and mummog have been discussing on another thread in relation to Beacy High? ie Foundation Schools putting more store in subject-based tests than VR tests?

Is this the start of a more general shift away from 11+/12+ testing? (As you know, not a big fan :lol: :lol: )
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Interesting that the advert didn’t mention 11+ or 12+, only SATs results.
I wouldn't read a change of policy into this, Rob! It's similar to what the County do in that they only have a KS2 requirement for those who have already taken the 11+ without reaching the qualifying score, and now wish to be considered for a late selection test. (The County requirement is more generous, though - just two level 5s in English and Maths.)

I can see an argument that, the older the pupils are when seeking admission, the more significant their SATs levels become - because they have to "fit in" with the pupils already there.

By the time we get to year 10 entry, almost all the grammar schools have tests that are entirely (or mostly) curriculum based.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Rob Clark wrote:Sally-Anne, is this the same situation as you and mummog have been discussing on another thread in relation to Beacy High? ie Foundation Schools putting more store in subject-based tests than VR tests?

Is this the start of a more general shift away from 11+/12+ testing? (As you know, not a big fan :lol: :lol: )
I wouldn't say that it is a "general shift" away from VR tests. I think that it is just easier for the schools to prepare subject tests, rather than buying in age-specific VR or NVR tests to do the job. It also means that they get ready-formed quality pupils, rather than those with "potential" that may not yet have been realised, such as kids who are bright but behind at subject level due to poor teaching.

At County level, the problem with setting a test other than the two current VR tests is one of cost and, to a lesser degree, logistics.

S-A
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Idly surfing, I notice that DCGS have relaunched their website, and the following link contains their full Admissions Policy for all years.

http://www.challoners.com/index.aspx?se ... ons-policy

Under 2.1 - Oversubscription criteria for the 11+ - I think there may be a typo on Point 3. It states: "Brothers of boys in Years 7 to 12 who are on the roll of the school at the time allocations are made."

That does not tally with Bucks CC's Admissions Policy, which is siblings of children in years 7 - 10.

Sally-Anne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

If it's a foundation school then they are allowed to do this. Such inconsistency between different grammar schools in the same local authority did not go unnoticed at our appeal! :wink:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now