1st paper next week

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hope

1st paper next week

Post by Hope »

Hi All

How are we all getting on with the preparations, with the 1st paper next week I have begun to panic, not letting my DS know that I am concerned though. I felt we were doing quite well, he was consistantly getting over 70 right in the papers we have been doing at home. Then he comes back from school today with practice paper A and got 67 right (he is a Sept born - so will not get any extra points!).

As some of you will know my DD got a score of 119 a couple of years ago and we went to appeal, I hoped my DS would not be a border line case but looks like we may be in the same position with him.

Should I be concerned about the 67 scored today?
I hope everyone else's preparations are going well.
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS1 got borderline scores in all 3 practice tests but when it came to the real thing he got a comfortable qualifying score. Don't panic and try not to pile the pressure on too much, focus on how well he has done and not the relatively poor score he got in the practice - it's better to get it wrong now than in the real thing. Hopefully all will come right when it really matters :)
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you andyb, you have made me feel a little better, my DD did well in the practice papers at school passing them all and then she didn't pass the real thing!!

Has anyone got any tips on what we should be doing in the last week, I have got a couple of papers (GL) lined up but unsure what else we should be doing.

I will keep outwardly calm and not put any pressure on DS, he seems really chilled about it.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hope

Many children will score slightly less at this stage, due to the fact that it is the first test under test conditions. Nerves tend to kick in. Her confidence should grow little by little over the 3 practice tests.

There are 3 questions that nearly all children [unless they have already seen the test] get wrong. The last one in the section of maths series, the sequence is +3 + 9 +27 the next being worked out at +81 making the answer 122. Finding the missing 3 letter word where the part word is perforations, missing word for. An analogy where you use stitches to sew and strokes to paint [so many put pat ] The section finding one word for 4 words can cause a few problems too.

Many children will also score exceedingly well. They tend to be the children with older siblings [or from some tutors] because they have the practice papers at home. They have not changed since they were introduced. Some children have therefore seen/sat the actual test.

Hence why schools SHOULD NOT use them to rank their children [but some still do! :evil: ]

Dont forget that if you are using the GL papers you still need to practice HIKNOS because they are not included. If you have not already used them perhaps get the IPS additional questions [about 12 of each of the 21 types] just to keep her ticking over, complete a few of each type each evening.

Patricia
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you Patricia.

I had forgotten that HIKNOS were not in the GL papers, I have the IPS book you refer to and will do as you suggest and practice some each night.

Thank you also for your reassurance about the practice score.

Hope.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hope

I have just edited my post, showing the odd questions in the first practice paper.

Patricia

Dear All

Please note there is nothing wrong with talking about practice paper questions, as they are out in the community.

However moderators will be keeping an eye on the Bucks section ensuring that no one discloses information about the real tests.