Type J

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hope

Type J

Post by Hope »

Hi All

Does anyone have any tips to help with Type J questions, moving one letter from one word and putting into the other word to make 2 new words. DS has come home today with Practice Paper 1, great mark 71 but he has got 4 out of 7 wrong on the type J questions.

Some tips would be great as we have been working on these as they have always been a weak type for him but I don't know how else to help him.

Thank you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Try this

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

it is an excellent download and explains the techinique for the 21 types of VR question and the common variations
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hope

Type J (IPS lettering) = Type 8 (Tutors) - page 27.

I tend to explain them a different way. Start by working only on the first word and ignore the second word. Which letter (s) can be removed and still leave a meaningful word? Mark them with a dot or downward stroke above the letter.

Then look at each of those letters in turn and see where they can fit into the second word.

So, in the example on The Tutors pages: clean, slim. The first word can lose either c (leaving lean) or e (leaving clan). Now move on to the second word. Most children can usually spot the answer fairly quickly from there.

I feel that if you work on both words right from the start there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing involved, and not all children are good at that.

Sally-Anne
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you Sally-Anne, we will give your method a try as we have been trying the other method and like you say he seems to get in a muddle with all the to-ing and fro-ing.

Thank you, this forum always has someone who can offer some help or advice. :D
patricia

Post by patricia »

Absolutely, Sally-Anne

This way it eliminates the problem where the child finds the first letter that could go over, spends a long time trying to put it into the scond word and then guesses! By finding all the letters first, at least they are aware that there are other choices.

I also insist, that if they are unsure they should try to write out the word with the missing/added letter.

Many children cannot see the wood from the trees until it is there in front of them.

eg D going into BOY

DBOY

BDOY

BODY .... Bingo!
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you Patricia, you have just made me laugh and realise I am in the same bracket as some of the children, can't see the wood from the trees! :oops:
The example you have given was in the practice paper my DS brought home yesterday and when we went through it I too was having some trouble seeing the answer.

I think this way of working these out is really going to help my DS (and me), thank you all.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I deliberately used that example because I KNOW many children [and parents] just cannot see it.

As soon as it is written down they all go 'Oh yeah'

My answer: 'and why didnt you keep to the rules of writing it out if you are unsure!'

Their reponse: A very :oops: look on their face

My answer: I dont 'nag' about notes for the sake of it' :evil: :wink:

Patricia