todays test 1 (1st Oct)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HYates

todays test 1 (1st Oct)

Post by HYates »

hello just wondering what other candidates thought of todays paper.
My son has been scoring consistantly over 70 closer to mid 70's on all practise material including Bright Sparks , Tutors etc but he said that the paper today was 'hard' with many words he simply didnt know - panic set in and he had to guess the last 3 questions and wasnt 'sure' about 6 or 7 others !
Hopefully paper 2 might be better !!
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Hi,

It's the same for my daughter. She has been getting 70-75 on all practice papers, and we were confident she would be OK. But she said she had to guess about 5 of the answers, and is unsure of several others and feels a bit dejected. She said it was hard compared to what she has been used to.

I think we need to rebuild her confidence for the next one!
Lets hope they will be OK.

Good luck in the 2nd paper.
Hornet

Post by Hornet »

Hi
My daughter also found it very hard today so much so that it completely threw her and she ended up really struggling with the paper. She has also been used to 75% plus in mock tests. I have yet to hear from anyone who thought the paper was what they have been used to.
Lets just hope the next paper is better.
x
HYates

todays test !

Post by HYates »

oh dear !! we are all in the same boat

i have heard on the rumour mill that usually the second paper is a bit easier - has anyone else heard that ?

this is all very very stressful !!!
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Apparently, both Exams are similar - although most find the 1st a bit more difficult as it is a bit more stressful. This is according to Sally-Anne - we were discussing it on another thread.

The only positive (?) is that nearly all the kids have found it harder than what they were used to in the practice papers.
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

There seems to be a general consensus that this was a hard paper. But did anyone find it easier than they'd been used to? My DD didn't think it was a hard paper - she had most recently been doing Bright Sparks papers and getting fairly average marks. Now I'm wondering if she over simplified some questions!! :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Shelly8 wrote:Apparently, both Exams are similar - although most find the 1st a bit more difficult as it is a bit more stressful. This is according to Sally-Anne - we were discussing it on another thread.
The first paper is often cited as being more difficult than the second. There seems to be no explanation for that other than the feelings of stress, and both my DSs scored higher marks on the first paper than the second, despite declaring them to be the harder papers.

Inevitably all the children will feel that the "real tests" are harder than practice papers, because they are in a test environment and there are no parents or tutors nearby for reassurance.

I will not be surprised if your DC all come out of next wek's tests saying that "it was much easier". Of course, if next week's tests covers a lot of question types that your child doesn't enjoy as much as others, they may conclude that next week's test is more difficult!

Both tests are historically very equal in difficulty - it is a matter of circumstances and taste.

Sally-Anne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Forgot to say that DD has often been known to think that she had done well at a paper, and come out with a really low score! So I didn't mean to dishearten all the people who thought it was tough paper!
scottie

1st 11+ paper

Post by scottie »

We have found the same "very hard", panic set in, guessing started on 2nd half of paper. Up til now consistent 90+% scoring. Loss of confidence as never seen before, - HELP PLEASE>
A Very worried Mum

Post by A Very worried Mum »

My son also sat the 11+ paper yesterday and felt it was quite a bit harder than the practise papers. He has been getting an average of 85-90%. He felt rather down when I picked him up from school but I told him I was so proud of him - having tried his best. None of us can ask for more than that ;)

Fingers crossed for every single one of them!

AVWM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now