todays test 1 (1st Oct)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

love those stories Ian35mm!!! Very true - risk is that many kids will just tell their parents what they think the parents want to hear....
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi Jellybaby

These figures were posted on the forum last week. I hope this helps.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=11551

Nif229
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Well, if you want to be controversial, what about making 11 + only open to state schooled children.

This would have the dual advantage of reducing competition for places and making the playing field more even. I know I'll get told off/deleted/account wiped/ganged down in the street if I name names, but I know of one independent school that starts it's 11 plus programme in Yr 2.

No, no that would be silly, wouldn't it? The whole point about being rich is to buy advantages for your children.

:D
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

And forget the chocolate, it's doughnuts all the way for me!

Actually as the kids know this, I've got a freezer full of them now (and a few bottles of wine - and a couple of tickets for the Rex in Berko!)
Opinion counts for nothing - show me the evidence!
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Clearly, though, I don't keep wine - or cinema tickets - in the freezer.

There just isn't the room with all the doughnuts.
Opinion counts for nothing - show me the evidence!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jellybaby
jellybaby wrote:(No figures given for Bucks). Can we not impose a rule that they have to have lived her for 5 years or more to be elligible for a place ... or even better, born here .... :D Only joking, before I get arrested for some kind of prejudice!!
The number of Bucks children taking the test is absolutely constant. The number of OoCs taking the test is rising, but not exponentially - there were around 250 more children last year compared with 2006, as you can see from Dad40's helpful post here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=11551

This year the rules on address evidence changed to try to prevent fraudulent applications from outside Bucks. Address evidence must now be provided a week before the results, rather than a couple of weeks after the results, as was previously the case.

That means that anyone hedging their bets on a Bucks GS place has to uproot their whole family and move home just in the hope that the child will qualify, rather than in the certain knowledge that they have done so. I suspect that there will be rather fewer OoC candidates this year as a result. At the very least I would expect the pressure on one or two of the most over-subscribed schools to be reduced.

Sally-Anne
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Ah S-A, the voice of reason as usual.

:lol:
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Shucks - there goes my reason to eat more chocolate this morning - oh well, I'm sure I'll soon come up with another one!

I like your idea of keeping the doughnuts in the freezer, Ian35mm, but what happens when you need one in hurry? Surely you'd break your teeth on them!! Anyway, there'd be no room in my freezer with all the choc ices, chocolate icecream, frozen Mars Bars & chocolate cake!

Can anyone answer my question of last night, about whether there is a latest date for taking the tests?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ian35mm wrote:Clearly, though, I don't keep wine - or cinema tickets - in the freezer.

There just isn't the room with all the doughnuts.
aah doughnuts - now you are talking!!!!! Once sat scoffing them with work colleagues and when asked "what happened to 5 a day???" we said "its OK we have had 5..." anyway if you go for the jam ones that must count as 5 a day..!!!

Who was it who said "ich bin ein berliner" - "I am a doughnut??"
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Jellybaby - sorry re that question - I'm not sure about the dates, think they will have to actually ask someone in the know - I suspect if a cjild has been ill and it is a one off it could actually be quite late.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now