thinking about trying for 13+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sharone

Post by sharone »

Me again

On the application form it says under the parent/carer's declaration that we have informed the head, so I guess I have to. I'd like a chance to talk to the Head in any event, as even if he passes he's still got to stay at his current school for awhile, and he says he's not learning anything new so far this term...

Best wishes
Sharon
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi sharon, we had to write to DD’s head to inform her that DD was intending to take the 12+.

We just said that although DD has thoroughly enjoyed her first few weeks (which she has), we felt in light of her excellent Year 6 SATs results that we wanted to at least keep her options open for the time being.

I know it’s a bit trickier for you having been at the school longer, but perhaps you could say something similar?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ah yes, it's not in the guidance but I see that's what it says on the application form. Just a courtesy, I assume, but as you say it also presents an opportunity to discuss whether what is currently on offer could be more 'demanding'!

Rob's approach is very diplomatic.
Etienne
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks Rob, that sounds like a diplomatic approach. The slight problem is that I joined the board of governors when my son started, so it's a little awkward. I know how hard the head is working, and how much the staff really care about all of the pupils. I'm still committed to being a governor at the school, even if my son leaves, as I feel that this way I can do something to help children in our community. There's so much disparity where we live. From my experience with the Head, I'm sure that they will be fair, but it feels like having to tell one of your parents something they don't wont to hear.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just had to advise a friend on the problem of "telling the Head" Sharon, and said much the same as Rob. Her child has also been put into an accelerated learning group, and she is considering the 12+.

You could add that, as your son has been designated as "Gifted & Talented" you feel that he must be a late-developer, and so he may now be ready for a GS when he wasn't at 11 years old. So actually it's all his fault, and nothing to do with you. :lol: Only joking, but I think the Head will understand that you want to offer him the chance to try for a place.

I also suggest that you make it clear that your expectations of your son being allocated a place are quite slim.

I am sure that if you tell the Head what you have told us about your commitment as a Governor and the reasons that you will be continuing to support him he will be very proud indeed that you are a member of his team.

Sally-Anne
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks again, wonderful advice as always...
sharone

additional information

Post by sharone »

Hello again

Still sorting out this application form and have a quick query. On the front page there is a box to tick if you want to include additional supporting material if your child has exceptional educational, medical or social reasons why he/she should attend any of your preferred schools. Would it be helpful at this point to include a supporting letter from my son's school about being on the gifted and talented register etc? I think that he should be allowed to sit with his KS2 results, but my thoughts are that if and when we may come to a tranfer appeal, it may be taken into account that we didn't include this at the beginning. I'm going to go and see my son's head of learning shortly, and I'm sure they will be supportive. Any thoughts...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sharon

It won't be an issue at a Transfer Appeal if you don't include it now, but it may save you the pain of an "Appeal against Refusal to Test" if they turn your 13+ application down.

You shouldn't have a problem if he has KS2 Level 5s in English and Maths, but I would include the extra information, just to make absolutely sure.

Sally-Anne
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks, will do, it makes sense...
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Just belatedly supporting Sally-Anne's view that it may be "JHG or bust".

CHS's current Year 8 is now pretty full following a big intake (I believe circa 45) last month. I'd reckon on about 5 places left.....and I'm sure there will be a number of Chesham/Amersham people attempting 13+ this year.