Schools allocation process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Congratulations to all those that had good news last week and good luck to all of those going through the appeal process.

Please can someone advise me on how the allocation process for Grammar schools works. Do children who passed the 11+ exam get priority for their choice of school over those who get in on appeal, or are the successful appeals then treated the same as a pass? My son passed but I live out of catchment for my preferred school.
The schools allocation process is 1) catchment, 2) siblings 3) out of catchment. I'm a bit confused as to where the "out of catchment" rule comes into the allocation process. Also, do we get offers from all of our chosen schools, or just one from our highest ranked school, for which we fit the criteria. Any help to unravel my confusion would be appreciated.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

My understanding is that appeals are treated exactly the same as passes - provided they fall inside the first round of allocations. Those who get their appeal in on time and are heard before 15 Feb are, if successful, treated as if they passed the exam with regard to allocations.
Successful out of catchment children will be allocated to any places left not filled by in-catchment and siblings.
You only get the offer of one place - the highest on your list that is able to offer a place. The idea is to stop people holding more that one place at different schools.
Hope this helps - it's only my understanding so if anyone knows different feel free to comment.

Post by Guest »

Students whose appeal is successful before 15 Feb are treated excatly the same as those who scored 121 or greater in the 11+ test.
The criteria for allocation are:
1) special needs
2) sibling
3) distance from school in catchment
4) distance from school out of catchment

Foolw link below for more info:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get//asse ... idance.pdf
rose

Re: Schools allocation process

Post by rose »

The criteria for allocation are:
1) special needs
2) sibling
3) distance from school in catchment
4) distance from school out of catchment

Thank you both for your replies. Things are much clearer now. Generally, what are the chances of getting into an out of catchment Bucks school that was put as a 1st choice? Are the places usually taken up with the first 3 criterias mentioned above? Has anyone been successful in the past getting thier children into out of catchment Grammar schools?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi rose,

It depends which school you are looking at.
Last year, the Royal Grammar and John Hampden were undersubscribed, but some grammars didn't take all the catchment children.
Which school are you looking at?
rose

Post by rose »

I am in the catchment for JH & RGS, but have put SWBGS as 1st choice.

Post by Guest »

Last year JH and RGS were both undersubscribed.
Last year SWBGS took all siblings and applicants in catchment up to 4.5 miles.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Rose and Guest,

Here's an extract of the Bucks 'secondary guidance document' about SWBGS:

>>All catchment area siblings offered and some other in-area children to a distance of 5.674 miles<<

This, to me, means that not all catchment applicants got an offer last year. All siblings did but only SOME in-area.

I am afraid that no out of area would have got a place last year.

But Both JH and RGS have mentioned "All offered", so that's good for you. In addition, the same document says

>>The equal preference process works as if
you have made up to six separate
applications to the schools you have ranked.
Your chances of getting each one depend on
that school’s admission rules – not where
you have placed them on the list.<<

Whether you have these schools as first, second or third preference, won't make any difference. As you are in-area, you must be safe.

Hope this helps

Catherine
rose

Post by rose »

Thank you Catherine, for the very useful information.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

What's SWBGS? I understand JH and RGS, but not that one.

Feeling thick today!

JuliaB