Appeal Advice Needed - Please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Justins

Appeal Advice Needed - Please!

Post by Justins »

Dear All,

I’m rather new to all of this and this message is somewhat a cry for help and advice. Firstly, I would like to congratulate all of the parents and children that passed the 11+ this time round, you should all be very proud.

My Daughter whom attends a state school failed the 11+ with scores of 114 – 117. She had been privately tutored and we spent (as I’m sure everyone did) a small fortune on 11+ practice papers. She did a paper each day and in the final couple of weeks prior to the exam was nailing between 92 – 96% correct on each paper. As you probably can see it coming we gained a false sense of security thinking that she would do well in the actual exams. Well, I’ve been brought down to earth with a bang!

The head Teacher approached us and stated that he was taken back that she had not passed and stated that we would fully support an appeal. She recently was awarded a bronze award for Kumon maths and is on her way for the silver award. My question is, I have no idea how to formulate an appeal and what strategy is best. It would appear from other posts on the forum, that academic proof seems the order of the day? I have approached her private tutor and Kumon tutor and they have agreed to write supporting letters, but would these help or hinder? Do I send original letters with the appeal? Would the panel think “well after all that tutoring and extra maths and she still failed”? Is there anyone who could help advise me? Are there consultants that you can employ for this type of advice? Sorry for the mad ramblings, my mind is working at 199% overload.

Best wishes and thanking all in advance.

Justin.

Post by Guest »

Hi, Justin

Have you read Etienne's Questions and Answers? (can be accessed via the homepage).

Have you read the various threads on the appeals page? Go to forum index > appeals.

Suggest you post your question on the appeals page.

Good luck
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Justins there is bags of information in tons of recent posts. I'd sit down with a large beer and a notebook and pen and work your way through them all....

I found this a good way to start thinking practically about the appeal, (even though your mind is in a complete panic!) and of course you are arming yourself with information along the way

If you are really keen you can trawl through all the 2005 appeal postings as well, kept me warm on a cold night anyway (but then I don't get out much)

Good luck!!

JuliaB
Justins

Post by Justins »

Thank you, I will take your advice (firstly the beer!!) and search the forums.

Best,

J.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now