And the first school closes for snow ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Looking for help wrote:[...I need some food and I forgot to join the panic buyers clearing the supermarkets yesterday :lol:
Same here ... we may be eating baked beans and rice over the next few days!!!!!
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A number of schools have already announced closures for tomorrow. The Bucks CC website is still playing up, but you can (hopefully) view the list here:

http://apps.buckscc.gov.uk/eforms/schoo ... _list.aspx

The snow is still coming down here and, although it's just wet snow, I can't imagine what it's going to be like out there tomorrow morning if it freezes overnight.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Marylou wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:An early poetic contribution from a Bucks school:
The snow is falling fast and swift
And into large piles it has drift
The answer to the question posed;
'Yipee, yep, the school is closed!
Sally Anne, you beat me to it! :lol: I was just about to post this.

No doubt there will be whoops of joy at any closures this week, not so those of us who have children sitting exam modules next week as we've been told we have to foot the bill for the resits if they can't make it into school, even if the school is officially closed and there is no transport. Anyone else think this is a bit harsh? :(
This is the stance from dd's school with regard to the current weather:

All examinations will take place as scheduled even if the school is closed.

If you are able to get to school SAFELY­ then please make every effort do so if not, most examinations can be taken in the summer examination period.

Please note that if you arrive late (within 30 minutes of the start time) you should make your way to the examination venue and you will be allowed to start the examination.

If you arrive more than 30 minutes after the start time then you ­may still sit the examination, however, the examination board may refuse to accept the paper

Now, if they can do that sort of thing, why can't your dc's????

I'd be asking questions.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Another poet ...
School is closed again today,
This snow just will not go away,
It's really causing so much sorrow -
Let's hope it will be sunny tomorrow!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

They're all at it now ...
With heavy snow, or even a trickle,
It leaves us in a sorry pickle.
The school is closed to alleviate danger,
So stay at home – but don’t be a stranger,
Study hard and check the VLE,
There’s a lot to do, just go and see!
I've consulted with the puppy from school;
He loves the snow but is no fool!
Temperature dropping: ice on the way,
Alfie, the lab says, 'Open? No way!'
patricia

Post by patricia »

Perhaps we should have a competition/vote for the best entry.

It could become a yearly event. :wink:

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Snowdrops, thanks for that! The first exam isn't until Monday morning and DH is talking about driving very slowly as we should have cleared our driveway by then (if there's no more snow!) and the main roads should be reasonably OK. We don't have a 4x4 but the traction on his little car is very good.

Why oh why don't we use winter tyres like they do on mainland Europe? If everybody had to have them they would be cheaper. Maybe the government could give us a rebate on our road tax to cover the cost. Why can planes land in cold snowy countries but not here? Why do our trains and buses grind to a halt, but in Canada they carry on in temperatures well below what we're getting now? The rest of the world must think we're a right load of woosses! :?
Marylou
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Hey - didn't mean to kill the thread with my rant...should have used a few more of these! :) :) :)

I am a bit peeved though that kids who miss out on their January modules will have them delayed until the summer and have to sit them along with all the other modules, having already done all the revision six months earlier! :( Not sure if this would disadvantage them? :?
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:Not sure if this would disadvantage them? :?
You're not thinking of appealing against their GCSE results are you, Marylou?
:lol: :lol:

Re: The rant, I will be at my DH like a terrier for some winter tyres! We did have some very clever "fabric things" that did the same job as snow chains, except they could be used on clear roads as well, but unfortunately a Bucks pothole took them out last year.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

These are A-level modules! In my day (cue Hovis music) everyone sat them in the summer at the end of the second year of 6th form, and if you wanted a better grade you had to sit the whole thing again the following January ...but being able to space them out is fine as long as everyone has the opportunity iyswim.

Potholes in Bucks? Really? :lol: (Dreading setting out on the roads again after the thaw... :roll: ) Those pseudo snow chains sound like a good idea though, will look into them.

School closed again tomorrow for DD1 and 2 - they are SO disappointed. :wink:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now