seer green failure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Max

Post by Max »

I agree with you completely,

BUT If I could afford Prep or Private for my kids I would certainly consider this. So I don't have a argument against anyone putting Kids in any Private education.

I did not know that the cost of secondary education is 3 times the cost of Prep. My local prep is £2000 Per term (approx) which I thought would be the cost of secondary.

I'm in the North West uk so I can imagine Bucks, Berks are more pricey.

It must be worse if your kids have been in Prep school and do not make the 11+ pass mark and have to Downsize to a Comprehensive.

Comp's in my area are particulary bad....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Anonymous wrote: However, I agree with some things you have said. The purpose of grammars was to educate poor but bright children who would not otherwise get a decent education. .
Not entirely true - grammar schools are there for all bright children to get a decent education not just the poor ones. Plenty of parents (including me ) at grammar schools could afford to pay for senior schools - they choose not to.

personally I tend to prefer my kids to mix with those selected by academic ability rather than the ability to pay. - just intellectual snobbery as opposed to financial I suppose :wink:
Max

Post by Max »

I could probably with a struggle and cut back on everything else in life afford it but I choose not to.
My decision is purely financial and I suspect your's is too !

The thing is Grammar Schools are not too far off the quality of education offered by Private and this doesn't cut well with the "Frugal" Well off, when having to fork out 12 Grand a year.

If I could comfortably afford private education for my kids I'd have them in no question.

Post by Guest »

Not entirely true - grammar schools are there for all bright children to get a decent education not just the poor ones. Plenty of parents (including me ) at grammar schools could afford to pay for senior schools - they choose not to.
OK OK Hermanmunster
I'm probably splitting hairs but I was talking about grammar schools in the medieval/Edward VI/Henry VII/Elizabeth I sense of the word when boys whose parents could not afford private education were given the opportunity if shown to be bright enough to study Latin at Grammar schools.

Quite rightly these days its all about academic ability rather than ability to pay and may the best boy/girl win. I'm sure however, you understand (even if you don't agree) why parents who cannot afford to educate their children in the private sector sometimes resent parents who pay for the prep schools and then move into the state sector with what is perceived (and no I don't think this is true) as an unfair advantage. I personally would like to go back to the old days where you sat you 11+ and passed or failed wothout any tuition whatsoever ensuring a level playing field. No stress on children and less than there is now on parents.

......and by the way I do prefer intellectual snobbery to financial snobbery........something to do with not being able to afford private school fees I suppose!!
janeyjack

appealing on 120

Post by janeyjack »

Hiya, I've been reading your postings and am feeling less and less hopeful. My son just missed with 120 and we are appealing. The headteacher has 'recommended for grammar school with reservations' and Alex's predicted SATs scores are 4.
We know Alex could cope at Grammar from his past academics but he was affected severely when his baby sister died three years ago. During a subsequent pregnancy Alex also suffered because he thought he would lose another sister. When Abbie was born last July Alex was elated and has since improved. He is still not back to his full potential but is showing the old signs of competitiveness and eagerness in his education.
Alex is our second eldest, his older sister is doing very well at Beaconsfield High School. We have five children altogether and value education in our home, playing fun games like Scrabble etc.
Any advice?
Many thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

So sorry to hear your family's story.

What were the KS1 SATs? Can his Y6 teacher see the improvement since July? It would be good to be able to say he is 'back on track' this term.

What about an Ed Psych report? This might show potential.

120 is very close - it would help if the other score was near the 121 cut-off.

Post by Guest »

Yummy mummy - I'd leave your kids at Seer Green School - all three children who appealed got through so at least 8 children got through the eleven plus out of a class of only about 20 so that's not too bad and better than many state schools achieved.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now