bucks vr not a good test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rob Clark

Re: bucks vr not a good test

Post by Rob Clark »

It wouldn't be lawful for decisions to be 'adjusted' on the basis of a school's opinion
Also, not all of us thought all that highly of our primary school HT and it would give some of them far too much power, IMHO. Every single child who didn’t pass could appeal on the basis that the primary school’s opinion was subjective… Surely we need the testing procedure to be more objective, not less so?
Lookinglass

Post by Lookinglass »

what do the grammar schools believe to be a good test? Does anyone know? Many people have stated that within the first couple of weeks the schools can identify the kids that are naturally gifted and the ones that are tutored. I have also been told that when the kids move onto their secondary schools they are tested to be put into ability groups. What are these tests?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

CATs usually I think.
scary mum
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

This is a very interesting discussion and it seems there is a large ground swell of opinion that the Bucks VR test is unfair on many levels. But what can be done to get the CC to do anything about it? I read somewhere they (the CC) have been sitting on evidence for a couple of years now about the effect of many months tutoring on the scores achieved by children and still nothing is done.

It is ridiculous that the majority of the test is redundant and, as Tree has stated, just a few questions make all the difference, given the score needed to "pass" is >90%. Incidentally, we are just embarking on this minefield for the first time and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on what are the really "key" question types, or does it just depend on which types of questions a child finds more naturally easy? Many thanks.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

My understanding is that is easier to teach VR well and improve scores compared to other subjects as there is a sort of 'formula' to learn it well. Obviously good vocabulary is also important, but there-in lies a debate about class, native or non-native speaker and previous state/independent school.

I'm not from Bucks (we sat the lovely :evil: North London tests which include all four subjects) and personally think that Bucks is excluding certain types of very bright children by their exclusive use VR, presumably as is convenient for them to mark. The fact that children have differently wired (bright) brains makes a combination of tests fairer IMO.

As already stated our 1st choice school tests all 4 subjects in one day, and combines the scores. Providing the child has reached the minimum score on each subject they are then listed in order of standardised score, with sibling and distance as the tie-break. St Michaels has fewer children to chose from as 'only' about 450 apply due to the strict Catholic criteria. They did, however come 7th nationally in the GCSE tables released recently and 29th in the A level results. They have no round one and two but test the broader abilities of the child. Other schools set one or two tests in R1. Latymer school eliminates 1200 children in R1 with a NVR test sat by 1700 or so. HBS and QE boys use VR and NVR to do the same. I would argue that Latymer is a fairer choice of R1 subject as NVR tests raw intelligence, and scores can only be tutored up about 15%. HBS and QE boys and Latymer all include Maths and English in R2. Marking English is time-consuming, but ability in it can't be easily crammed - it takes years of development.

If selective schools are looking for the brightest then a child strong in Maths or Writing could do badly in the Bucks test. They are not only selecting those who achieve the top scores in their test/s, but children who think in a particular way at the expense of other bright children who think in a different way. How would parents feel if Bucks used only Maths, NVR or English and no other subject? How differnt would the intake be? Perhaps the Education staff could arrange some trips to OOC schools or authorities to learn the strengths and weaknesses of their system/s?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now