Allocations 2010 - an early view

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Allocations 2010 - an early view

Post by Sally-Anne »

The school preferences for 2010 entry have now been published. They give a first indication of where the pressure in the system is likely to be on March 1st. These estimates are based solely on children who qualified with 121+ on November 20th.

There has been a significant increase in the number of appeals this year (over 1,000 selection appeals have been lodged compared to 850 last year) and successful candidates will be added into the system. Appeals are still in progress of course, and we have no way of knowing which schools they put as first preference anyway.

However, assuming that they are fairly evenly spread around the 13 grammars, the schools under most pressure this year for admissions will be Royal Latin and Royal Grammar (Wycombe). Both are over-subscribed even before successful appeals are added back in.

Dr Challoners Boys is actually undersubscribed by 3 on first preferences alone, although it will almost certainly be oversubscribed by March 1st.

The only other school where there might be a problem is Beaconsfield High. It is not quite fully subscribed, but again, it may go over the edge by March 1st.
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Sally-Anne

This is very interesting info, can I look at the full list somewhere, if so where would I find it?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Only if I can work out how to post in Code!

I will do what I can in due course.
heartmum

Re: Allocations 2010 - an early view

Post by heartmum »

Sally-Anne wrote:There has been a significant increase in the number of appeals this year (over 1,000 selection appeals have been lodged compared to 850 last year) and successful candidates will be added into the system.
That is a hugh increase on last year!!!
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

For once the "Code" feature has been kind to me - these are the figures. Please remember that they really are only a snapshot in time - they will change continually over the next few months.

Code: Select all

PAN	1st Prefs
AGS	   180	153
AHS	   180	157
BGS      150	64
BHS	   150	145
CHS	   180	110
DCGS  	180	177
DCHS  	150	151
JHG   	150	129
RGS	   182	194
RGS (bd) 10  	6
RLS	   174	194
SHF	   150	65
SWB	   120	76
WHS	   180	136

heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Do these figures include OOC children who qualified/appeal sucessful or just those that qualified/appeal successful in-catchment?
Heartmum x x x
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

Sally - Anne, I wondered whether the figures for Sir William Borlase look as they usually look at this stage or are they lower than usual. We are in catchment for SWB but have always assumed we wouldn't have a hope as we are too far away and it is always so oversubscribed.

Thank you, the info is fascinating!

CN
burcu

Post by burcu »

Thanks for posting this Sally-Anne. Like CN, I was surprised by the SWB figures at this stage and was wondering if the info was as usual. Could it be facing undersubscription like BHS did last year?

And BHS seems to be returning to its oversubscribed state.

Fascinating stuff - something else to while away the time between now and March!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

RLS was on 227 for qualified first preferences as at 2 March last year. Even though this figure will have included some successful appeals, I think the number of 1st preferences might still be lower this year.
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Heartmum, the figures are for all children who qualified who put a Bucks GS as their first preference, regardless of where they live. (Late edit: They do not include any successful appeals!)

Complete Novice, the figures for SWB are very interesting! These are the pre- and post-qualification numbers (in that order) for the last 3 years:

2008: 259 - 128
2009: 249 - 110
2010: 231 - 76

Although first preferences have gradually declined, the pass rate among children applying to the school was dramatically down this year. One of those odd quirks in the system, but it might work in your favour. Who knows?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now