Allocation Day arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Regarding the increase in the number of appeals, I wonder if the answer might be more simple - perhaps people are appealing simply because they can and know that they have a chance of winning? I think there is much greater awareness of the school appeals system nowadays and the financial climate might also be starting to play a role. After all, if there is a chance of not having to pay school fees if that is the other alternative, then it makes sense to take that chance.

It will be interesting to see if transfer appeals are also up this year, also appeals for other areas. Ours last year was indeed a case of "nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dad40 wrote:Sally-Anne,

Do you reckon there is any prospect of this year's experience causing them to push next year's 12+ dates back to where they used to be?

Cheers
It all depends on what the reasons were for bringing the date forward to February half term in the first place.

I have always assumed that it was because issuing results in mid-May led to some 12+ Transfer appeals being held as late as the end of July. That was hugely inconvenient for parents, children, panel members, Heads, etc.

If that assumption is correct, the half-term test is here to stay.
stats_person

getting to know

Post by stats_person »

Hi Sally-Anne, Folks,

Just fyi, I was applying from Windsor and Maidenhead Authority, I could see the allocation results by logging in online this morning, and I also had an email at 8.02am with the allocation results...not our first preference of JHGS, but another good school nontheless. I was expecting as much given the preliminary shift in numbers in bucks to that school from your earlier snapshot so no real surprise.

I just want to say while I have a chance, that, Sally-Anne, thank you for your contributions to the forum. I greatly appreciate your input here, it is really good for parents, and great to have your enthusiasm to communicate on this forum. Well Done!

Thanks,
Stats
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi stats person

I am glad that you got a good allocation, even if it wasn't first preference.

I half-expected this problem to arise - those applying from OoC may know their position regarding Bucks schools before Bucks parents know what is going on in county. (Stay calm everyone - Bucks will get there soon, I'm sure.)

Thank you for your kind words. They are particularly appreciated on a day when we all sit here in some trepidation, waiting for the onslaught over on Appeals. :D

Sally-Anne
heartmum

Re: Allocation Day arrangements

Post by heartmum »

Sally-Anne wrote:,...Apparently there were 956 Selection Appeals compared to 849 last year, not to mention a significant rise in the number of 12+ Test Appeals as well. The last Selection Appeals are being heard on 26th February - the last possible working day before allocations are made.
When do you think confirmation of numbers, for those getting through the Bucks selection appeals, will be released?
Having been through this :shock: it would be interesting to know the actual numbers involved, i.e. successful/not successful.
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now