EP - any recommendations in Bucks/Herts area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quinn5

EP - any recommendations in Bucks/Herts area?

Post by quinn5 »

Can anyone recommend a good EP in the Chesham/Tring/Aylesbury area or are they all pretty much the same? Eventhough my 10-year old didn't pass the 11+, thinking of bringing him to see one as the different tests and analysis seem to be quite interesting. Guess they might not be too busy at the moment, now that all the appeals are nearly finished. thanks for your recommendations.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi quinn

They are not all the same by any means. I will send you a PM with a couple of names shortly. (I have to leave the building for 15 minutes. Just watch all the trolls appear ... :wink:)

S-A
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I'd also be interested in any names in the Chesham Amersham Wycombe area.
gibberish

Post by gibberish »

I would also be interested in recommendations for EPs in the Wycombe area.

I have been told that Bucks CC do not give equal consideration to all EP reports. I was advised to contact them before getting one, but when I asked them for advice on choosing an EP, they said that was something I'd have to look into myself! Does anyone know if they require certain professional qualifications?

There are EPs (employed by Bucks CC, presumably) assigned to Bucks schools. Does anyone know if you can see them privately?

gibberish
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi gibberish
gibberish wrote:I have been told that Bucks CC do not give equal consideration to all EP reports. I was advised to contact them before getting one, but when I asked them for advice on choosing an EP, they said that was something I'd have to look into myself! Does anyone know if they require certain professional qualifications?
I am not sure who informed you of that, but an EP I know asked Bucks the same question and was told that an appeal panel will accept any evidence that is presented. That advice was obviously for the specific purpose of an appeal, so it depends on what you plan to use the report for?
There are EPs (employed by Bucks CC, presumably) assigned to Bucks schools. Does anyone know if you can see them privately?
I would imagine that most of them have private practices because I doubt that Bucks CC pay particularly well.

You can hunt for an EP in your area on this website. Simply select "Educational" and put in your postcode.
http://www.bps.org.uk/e-services/find-a ... ectory.cfm

Sally-Anne
Y

Post by Y »

gibberish wrote:I would also be interested in recommendations for EPs in the Wycombe area.

I have been told that Bucks CC do not give equal consideration to all EP reports. I was advised to contact them before getting one, but when I asked them for advice on choosing an EP, they said that was something I'd have to look into myself! Does anyone know if they require certain professional qualifications?

gibberish
Contact the EP service at Bucks CC to find out about EPs in schools: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/s ... ology.page

If you go your own way, you will need a chartered psychologist. You can find one by searching the British Psychological Society's register:
http://www.bps.org.uk/bps/e-services/fi ... gister.cfm
(but, as Sally-Anne says, not all EPs are equal)

One of the pyschologists there comes up as:

Qualifications: DipST, BSc Hons, CertEd, MEd, MSc
Address: Buckinghamshire Ed Psychology Serv
County Hall
AYLESBURY
Bucks
HP20 1UZ
Area: England

So there's at least one registered who works for Bucks EP service!

If you find the EP for your school, you might be able to then find them through the BPS service if they do private work.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

When we had our DS's EP assessment (not for the appeals process) I chose a Chartered EP who worked for a local authority in London. Our thinking was if he was employed by a LA then BCC really doesn't have a leg to stand on if they question his report.

I do remember him saying that he does not accept private work from within his borough. So you will probably find that if any of the BCC EP's do private work they won't take on the work if there could be a conflict of interest.

I travelled a fair way for our EP but I think it was worth every penny and the time. If anyone wants his contact details, please send me a PM.

MG
gibberish

Post by gibberish »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Sally-Anne wrote;
Hi gibberish
gibberish wrote:I have been told that Bucks CC do not give equal consideration to all EP reports. I was advised to contact them before getting one, but when I asked them for advice on choosing an EP, they said that was something I'd have to look into myself! Does anyone know if they require certain professional qualifications?
I am not sure who informed you of that, but an EP I know asked Bucks the same question and was told that an appeal panel will accept any evidence that is presented. That advice was obviously for the specific purpose of an appeal, so it depends on what you plan to use the report for?

End quote

Ah - I was told this during a conversation about the possibility of getting extra time in exams, for example, if dyslexic. My 'informant' was well qualified on the subject. The impression I got was that a report, while not rejected, might not be given as much weight as a report from an 'approved' EP. What wasn't clear, even after contacting Bucks CC, was what would constitute an 'approved' EP.

Thank-you for your pointers Sally-Anne, and to Y and Morning Glory. I now have some idea of what to look for.

gibberish
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now