Whether to coach/prepare

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GemB

Whether to coach/prepare

Post by GemB »

I am interested in the comment in another post that if a child needs help in other areas they may not be Grammar school material. My daughter has started seeing a tutor for maths, not because she is not numerate but because she lacks the confidence and speed. I have tried to help in the summer holidays and we did not progress very far. So far she loves going to see this lady and is starting to feel more confident.

What I don't know is whether to continue with this tuition for 11+ for next October. She did a VR test in year 3 and got 129, but the school have stopped doing this at the end of every year now as they say it is not a good enough indicator of 11+ success. This tutor when I asked says she would usually use this score to help make that decision.

My daughter is very nervous of "tests" so I do wonder if some practice with someone else would help, but I'm still not sure whther to make such a big deal of it with her.

Wondered how anyone else made that decision -have asked at school at Parents eve in Oct and was given the "pushy parent" look and told we can't tell at this stage.
would be grateful of comments
thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now