Waiting Lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

that would be good re places given for 1st choice, but not sure bout that either as there is the equal preference rule. I agree I don;t think it is a catchment in or out rule - surely it must be the usual criteria, special needs, catchment, sibling, distance....and places on the list would be according to this criteria (if there is a list, argh)
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

If they were going directly from the 'waiting list' that we all know for 2nd round then surely the waiting list position's would be given out before 13th April? So this is why I thought perhap's the waiting list as such is not used until 3rd round etc etc.

Maybe I am just thinking too much :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

When the places are allocated in the first place there must be an overall list which is ordered according to the admission criteria. This means that there must be a cut-off point beyond which no further applicants are offered places (174 in the case of RLS) and so this must be the basis upon which declined places are offered in the second round for those that have asked to be put on the waiting list. It is also how the allocation distance is worked out - in other words all the places were allocated on catchment, siblings etc. but there were still places left, so OOC places could be allocated on distance starting with the closest and working out. For example, an OOC candidate living at 9.12 miles might be the last to be admitted, but not their neighbour down the road at 9.3 miles. However, if you have been told that you are being included in the second round, then as an in-catchment candidate you should automatically bypass the other hopefuls on the list as your claim is higher under the admission criteria (unless of course someone else has moved into the area and they live closer).
Marylou
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

that makes sense Marylou. Another Q - are places allocated between apr 13 and say may13 (approx 3rd round date) or are they only allocated on the specific allocation days? So although you may be told you are 1st on the list say week after apr 13 by the time may 13 comes you may be 3rd on the list - or are the lists fixed for a month while some give up their places?
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I think it is fixed dates until Jul-Sept when they just ring weekly if any place's become available, from what I can tell from the website anyway.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Have been told that the deadline for new applications to bucks for next round allocations is not until mar 26. Because that date is close to apr 13, 2nd round allocations, Bucks don't have time to send letters informing parents of waiting list position. But positions are calculated and places offered according to published criteria, the same as in round one.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Last year, we just got into our first choice catchment grammar on allocation day but many of our DS's friends did not.

They were given waiting positions in April and then at different points during the month luckily before the next round of allocations in May they got offered a place. They were contacted on different days during the month. Interestingly, most of them got places as some children who had initially been offered places (approx half a dozen) had been less than honest about where they were living so had their offers taken away.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Fingers crossed for myself and Cats12 :D
Is there anyone else waiting on AGS?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bucks mum1 wrote:Interestingly, most of them got places as some children who had initially been offered places (approx half a dozen) had been less than honest about where they were living so had their offers taken away.
If that was certainly the case, it was just as it should be. It must be completely heartbreaking for the children, but the parents know what they are doing and the risks they are taking.

I could write a lot more on this topic, but I don't want to hijack the thread. (Especially as I am a Mod, because I will be forced to beat myself up like Dobby the house elf if I do that.)

I just hope that the change to the address evidence rules this year has deterred as many parents as possible from attempted fraud, prevented any child from suffering the results of it and freed up more places for genuine candidates.

Climbs off soapbox ...

Sally-Anne
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Shuffles on...

Anyone going off topic on this thread...?
Hmm...
Shuffles off again...

:lol: