11 plus test 2007

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
patricia

11 plus test 2007

Post by patricia »

Dear Nishant

A reply to your posts in the Verbal Reasoning section, you have NOT left it too late, there is plenty of time. I cannot help on the tutoring route, however if you wish to Do it Yourself [ DIY ] then read on.

Are you ready for this?

The 11 plus exam in Bucks consists of 2 Verbal Reasoning, Multiple choice tests. Each paper has 80 questions to complete in 50 minutes. Your child only needs to pass one of the tests, the average score is no longer used. The school will provide 5 familiarisation sessions [covering the 21 types of questions] followed by 3 practice tests.

The tests are published by NFER.

Publishers which currently cover the 21 types required for Bucks include:
AFN, IPS, SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only, NOT her books 1-7]

Shop/Internet bought NFER only contain 15 types of questions…..it is therefore necessary to practice HIKNOS while completing these tests. [HIKNOS are 6 types as identified by IPS]

I would recommend that you start by buying a method and technique book in order to teach yourself how approach each of the questions [IPS]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IPS also publish a book containing a selection of each type. Before you administer your first test, teach your child the types contained in that test using the IPS additional questions book. I also like to write notes next to each section on the test, giving helpful hints eg. on long codes, remind them of the rule. [ this is just for the first few tests ]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use tests in the following order…..

1] IPS, 10 tests 50 questions, 30 minutes [shorter tests good to begin with]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2] SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only], 4 tests 80 questions 50 minutes [soon to be 8 tests]
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3] NFER, 4 tests, 85 questions 50 minutes [remember to practice HIKNOS from IPS when completing these tests, also need to cross off the last 5 questions, as the real test only has 80 not 85]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look in the tips section, on the front page of the forum, you can find further help on approaching these tests.

viewforum.php?f=32

There is no need to start until the New Year. From now until the tests in October, ensure your child reads out loud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. If you look at some of the posts concerning the 2006 11 plus, the majority of posters, mention vocabulary as being the biggest problem [and I whole __ agree]

See the following link, bottom of the page, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid. You could also print off the compound word download in the same section.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

In addition, there are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practised using numbers under 150….try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

This forum is a wealth of information, look around, take note and get teaching! Any problems just ask, there is always someone willing to help.

Patricia
nishant

hi patricia: 11 plus test 2007

Post by nishant »

dear patricia.
first of all YES I AM READY TO TAKE THE CHALLANGE (WITHOUT A TUTOR'S HELP) secondly THANKYOU very much for your advice. right, now last night i couldn't resist and i asked my son to do 11a test (NFER) without explaining any techniques ect. because i just wanted to see how much does he understand and able to do. well in exactly 50 minutes he did about 59 questions-7 were wrong (without any help just do it thing). he found some very difficult when i explained couple of questions he was able to do the rest. do you think its is too early to work on these particular types or i should give him some time to settle down first.may be you can suggest some books or practice workbooks ect. on these types(although these are from only out of 14 types and there are still about 7-8 types need check).so should i feel :( or :) (sad or happy)in current situation? to be honest i felt OK with his performance (considering first time). and other thing which is very importatnt (for me atleast) should i follow the route exactly the same way as you have describe i mean order of books and papers i use.or do you think i should use these in any particular way. what i understood from your previous mail is that you have already adviced the ROUTE i should take. well thses are the types he said he was not comfortable with:
1) create one word out of 2 words i.e. MAN (NO)OLD, ERA( )TIE and anwer is AT.

1) 3 letters into 1 word i.e. The cat scratched him with his CS. and the answer is LAW (claws).

3)underline 2 words from each set of brackets that will complete the sentence in the best way. i.e. Big is to (Small, Orange, Colour), Wide is to (Apple, Red, Narrow). and answer is Small and Naorrw.

4)Patterns. i.e CQ DQ EP FP
and the answer is GO.

one more thing as you have mentioned about the author SUSAN DAUGHTREY, actually somebody was mentioning that she covers lots of types which we don't really need to do, is this true? and when we look at her books (at this site) its bit confusing for me because i am not sure of books by her, to buy. can i find ISBN no. for the the books i am suppose to buy.patricia you are doing very good work by helping the parents like me who are really concerned about their childern's education and future but not very sure what and how to do.please keep it up and have a very happy new year. happy new year to all the members and guests of this forum.thanx for your patience to read my long essay once again Patricia.
Meridith

Post by Meridith »

Nishant

I live in Maidenhead and my son is currently in Year 7 at John Hampden.

Register and I'll be able to send you a Private Message.

Meridith
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nishant

Glad to see you are going to try DIY, I like to keep to the order given in my previous post, starting with 30 minute tests building up to 50 minute Nfer are always left till last, to practice in the SAME format. It will not have harmed your child to have completed one already. He will not remember the questions, just put them away and complete again in September. [Remember HIKNOS, from IPS when completing NFER, see my original post]

With regard to Susan Daughtrey, ONLY use her Brigtht Sparks series...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b120

Her Books 1 -7 are not relevant to Bucks, the books are in standard form, and cover 40 plus techniques [35, some split into a,b,c]

Analogies.....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=588

Letter sequences......

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=149

Finding the missing 3 letter word....

Example: Today we visited the caal.

First stratergy: Sentence should be a clue to the 'whole' word [ although in this instance not much of a clue].....clue.....somewhere we might visit.

Second statergy: Space the letters out with enough room to fit the 3 letter words given on the answer sheet.....

C --- A --- A --- L

THen start trying the words in each of the spaces.....the answer is pit the child would try pit

pitC---A---A---L

CpitA--- A --- L

C--- Apit --- A--- L found the word capital!!!

This involves speed writing....tell al my students......for once they DO NOT have to write neatlly!!!!.........as long as they can read it, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Some children only need to space out the letters and then visualize the word in between the letters others need to write it down.

There is no need to put the dashes in between the letters just a space.....

Creating a new word.....

MAN (NO)OLD, ERA( )TIE and anwer is AT.

I just call this ‘where does the letter come from’

Look at the first letter in the first set of brackets = N

Where does N come from?

It comes from the 3rd letter, word on the left.

SO, child finds the 3rd letter, word on the left from the second set of words = A

Where does the letter O come from?

It comes from the 1st letter, word on the right.

So, child finds the 1st letter on the right, fro the second set of words = T

Word found = AT

These are relatively easy, child should NEVER lose marks on these questions, all the necessary information is given to find the correct answer. I expect the child to complete one of these questions in 20/25 seconds.

NB sometimes the letter comes from more than one position; child just puts the letters on top of each other e.g.

T
O
PLATE

The only word that can be formed is plate, cannot be tlate or olate. If child is unsure that the word found is a real word go to answer sheet and look at the possibilities, can then derive the word from the words given and the letters found.

Hope this helps...

Patricia
nisahnt

Post by nisahnt »

thanx ptricia
you mentioned about 20/25 secs to comlete a particular qst. i haven't read about his issue yet on this site.so this time i want to ask is there any particular type of qtns. we should expect hewill take longer time because it is really difficult to check that how much time he is taking on particular qts.. i know it is very a tough queation to ans.but as you have trained so many pupils just thought you might have an idea about common difficulties/type of qtns. children face. when i asked my son he mentioned 3-4 types, he found difficult and surprisingly he got all of those answers right but got some wrong for the ones he thought were easy.any comments most appreciated.thanx

patricia wrote:Dear Nishant

Glad to see you are going to try DIY, I like to keep to the order given in my previous post, starting with 30 minute tests building up to 50 minute Nfer are always left till last, to practice in the SAME format. It will not have harmed your child to have completed one already. He will not remember the questions, just put them away and complete again in September. [Remember HIKNOS, from IPS when completing NFER, see my original post]

With regard to Susan Daughtrey, ONLY use her Brigtht Sparks series...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b120

Her Books 1 -7 are not relevant to Bucks, the books are in standard form, and cover 40 plus techniques [35, some split into a,b,c]

Analogies.....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=588

Letter sequences......

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=149

Finding the missing 3 letter word....

Example: Today we visited the caal.

First stratergy: Sentence should be a clue to the 'whole' word [ although in this instance not much of a clue].....clue.....somewhere we might visit.

Second statergy: Space the letters out with enough room to fit the 3 letter words given on the answer sheet.....

C --- A --- A --- L

THen start trying the words in each of the spaces.....the answer is pit the child would try pit

pitC---A---A---L

CpitA--- A --- L

C--- Apit --- A--- L found the word capital!!!

This involves speed writing....tell al my students......for once they DO NOT have to write neatlly!!!!.........as long as they can read it, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Some children only need to space out the letters and then visualize the word in between the letters others need to write it down.

There is no need to put the dashes in between the letters just a space.....

Creating a new word.....

MAN (NO)OLD, ERA( )TIE and anwer is AT.

I just call this ‘where does the letter come from’

Look at the first letter in the first set of brackets = N

Where does N come from?

It comes from the 3rd letter, word on the left.

SO, child finds the 3rd letter, word on the left from the second set of words = A

Where does the letter O come from?

It comes from the 1st letter, word on the right.

So, child finds the 1st letter on the right, fro the second set of words = T

Word found = AT

These are relatively easy, child should NEVER lose marks on these questions, all the necessary information is given to find the correct answer. I expect the child to complete one of these questions in 20/25 seconds.

NB sometimes the letter comes from more than one position; child just puts the letters on top of each other e.g.

T
O
PLATE

The only word that can be formed is plate, cannot be tlate or olate. If child is unsure that the word found is a real word go to answer sheet and look at the possibilities, can then derive the word from the words given and the letters found.

Hope this helps...

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

nisahnt

Post by nisahnt »

thanx patricia
just wanted to ask if i can print off all the information regarding my queries so that i can use these as reference during studies ect. without using my laptop.thanx.
patricia wrote:Dear Nishant

If you look at The Tutors Demo on the following link.....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/ver ... lume-1.php

Type 3, codes each question about 45 seconds

9, letter series, 45 seconds

15, reading information, also known as Z questions, every test has 2 of these Zs, they can take anything between 45 secs and possibly 2/3 minutes. THese questions MUST always be left till last.

18, related numbers, some children cn do these quickly in about 20 30 seconds others 40 plus

19,word number codes, to crack the code then answer the 3 questions on that code, no longer than 2 minutes

All others should take anything between 5/10 seconds and 25/30....depending on how quick the child is at playing with letters and recalling both vocabulary and mental maths.

Patricia

Ps...it will be quicker to answer on the CD than a pen and paper multiple choice test.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nishant

All my advice is freely given, use as you may wish.

Patricia