How the allocation works?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

monsoon

How the allocation works?

Post by monsoon »

Hi All,

Can someone kindly explain how the allocation process works for the following criteria?
This is all hypothetical, but just want to understand..

1. First Choice school (we are not in the catchement for my first choice school)
2. Second Choice (we are in the catchment for my second choice school)
3. Third choice school (we are not in the catchement for my third choice school)

Assuming my DD passed the exam and didn’t qualify for the First Choice of school (i.e we were refused on distance), does she still get a place for our second choice school? Or will we be penalised for putting it as a second choice?

Thanking you in advance :)
Marylou

Re: How the allocation works?

Post by Marylou »

monsoon wrote: Assuming my DD passed the exam and didn’t qualify for the First Choice of school (i.e we were refused on distance), does she still get a place for our second choice school?
Yes, assuming all the criteria are met and places are available.
monsoon wrote: Or will we be penalised for putting it as a second choice?
No. However, you will only be offered a place at the second choice of school if the first choice is not offered. So if you change your mind about the first choice, then there are no guarantees that places will still be available at the second choice.

It's best to list the schools in the "real" order that you want them, since allocation is (or should be) done "blindly", with the highest-ranked school for which the child qualifies and meets all the criteria being offered first.
Marylou
WP

Post by WP »

Yes you will be offered a place, and no you won't be penalized for putting it second. Qualification for each school is worked out independently of how you ranked them. Your preferences are only used if you qualify for more than one school, so it is vital that you list them in your true preference order.
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi Marylou

Thank you for your reply.. much much appriciated.

Thanks
Monsoon...
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi WP,

Thanks for clarifying it...
I think we have a real good chance of getting our first school..
We need to first pass exam hurdle..

Thanks a lot...

Monsoon...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now