Practice Papers Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

logic32

Practice Papers Results

Post by logic32 »

I know you can get far too hung up on things like this but I was wondering if anyone could help on this query.
My son is consistently getting between 73 and 77 out of 80 in all in practice papers. I was hopeful until....... 3 friends ( in front of my son ) told me their children also got these kind of marks before the exam and then still didn't pass the actual 11+ ( Bucks)
I appreciate there is luck on the day, a huge element of what everyone else manages, and no guarantee of anything ! But he now has started doubting himself which is entirely my fault for having this conversation in his earshot. If anyone could let me know a rough idea of what thier children were managing in practice I can hopefully build him up again.

Many thanks
MrsChubbs

Re: Practice Papers Results

Post by MrsChubbs »

The 11 plus can be a terrible thing when it comes to "who says what about what their child got". Take heart and try to build up your son's confidence by telling him that you know that he always tries his best when doing the papers and that is what is really important. He has been doing really well on his practice papers. If you look at any of Patricia's posts about this (and she is an expert) she will say that she likes to see her students scoring 90% and above, which is exactly what he is doing.
It sounds a bit like sour grapes from your friends and it is probably best (although really hard at this worrying time) for you to hold your own counsel about how your son is doing and just focus on helping him be the best prepared that you can. Which it sounds like you are doing anyway. When it comes down to the actual tests themselves anything can happen on the day, all you can do is make sure that your son is confident and if possible happy to go and do the tests. Hope this helps.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I generally agree with Mrs Chubbs.

However, it does depend on which publishers you are using, it is relatively easy to score 90% plus with certain papers.

Patricia
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks MrsChubbs for your very sensible reply. I agree that I should concentrate on his abilities rather than others opinions.

Patrica, he's been doing various different papers including Walsh VB 1 & 2, Susan Daughtrey Practice papaers 1 & 2, The Tutors, downloaded from this site and the familiarisation tests sent by Bucks CC. A friend has recommended buying the new Letts Papers which are now only 80 questions so hopefully will be doing those next.
patricia

Post by patricia »

The Daughtrey papers are graded in difficullty so 1 and 5 are easier than 4 and 8 .

The Tutors are of a middle range difficulty and would be easy to gain 90% plus.

I always finish off with GL assesment as they are the same look as the real papers, remember to practice HIKNOS whilst completing the GL papers [as identified by IPS] and to cross off the last 5 questions [they contain 85 instead of 80]

The papers sent by County : Test A is easier than the real thing, therefore should easily gain 90% plus. Test 1 and 2 are of a similar difficulty.

Patricia
mummytroubles

Post by mummytroubles »

It depends entirely on the child BUT for what it's worth, my DS never scored above 77, more usually around 72 and got 141 in the real thing. I didn't know whether to hug him or slap him when he did that as he used to make such stupid mistakes in the practice papers that I was convinced he might actually fail on the day. In retrospect I think he needed the 'pressure' of the real thing to focus and raise his game. If your son has the basic skills, and with those scores it sounds like he has, then he should be fine.

One other thing, never ever believe anything anyone else tell you about how their own DC's are doing. :wink:

MT
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

[quoteOne other thing, never ever believe anything anyone else tell you about how their own DC's are doing. ][/quote]

Said with feeling Mummytroubles! I quite agree. :lol:
logic32

Post by logic32 »

It's ridiculous isn't it ?

I'm normally fairly level headed and try never to compare my children to others. Certainly don't do the competitive mum thing ! But I suppose with no experience of the 11+ before, the only information I get is from parents whose kids have previously sat it. I will stop stressing and just encourage my son back to confidence.

Many thanks for all your replies
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Don't worry logix32. I sometimes think the 11plus is responsible for all my grey hairs as much as I try to tell myself not to stress about it. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now