Letts 11plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers New for 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jaya

Letts 11plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers New for 2010

Post by jaya »

Just wondering, does anyone know if the New papers form Letts(2010) from this web site (see link below) are relevant to Bucks? What difficulty level are they, in comparison to Bright Sparks? Patricia are you able to help?

11 Plus Books - Letts (New for 2010)
Letts 11plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers Multiple Choice Format
ISBN-10: ISBN-13: 9781844192489 Our code: LETTS-VR1-MCH Publisher: Letts Educational

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Letts 11plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers New for 20

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, We have just done the four Bright Sparks which are hard to finish in the 40 mins and are just moving onto the new Letts. There are five more questions at 85 and five more minutes so you have more time. I would say easier than Bright Sparks so good to use before to try and get your speed up. In terms of format I would say that they are closer to NFER than Bright Sparks. I would also ask mods to move this thread to the Verbal Reasoning section as you will get more response there.
jaya

Post by jaya »

Thanks, Daogroupie. I had asked the question on Buckinghamshire as I also need to know if the techniques covered are relevant to Bucks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi jaya

I have received copies of the new Letts papers now, and worked through them.

They are appropriate for Bucks, but only cover 15 types, not 21, and have 85 questions not 80, so you still need to practice Types 16 - 21 (HIKNOS) in addition.

I did find a couple of probable errors, which is the norm with new papers. Some vocab questions were a little ambiguous, and some question types were markedly more difficult than others.

My greatest concern is that on the Type L & U (9 & 14) code questions, where the alphabet is needed to solve them, the questions straddle a page break and on one paper (Paper D) you actually have to turn back a page to refer to the alphabet.

I suggest that, instead of striking out the last 5 questions on the paper to cut it down to 80 questions, you strike out the Type L & U questions that spill on to another page, plus as many of the last 5 as you need to bring the paper back to 80.

Overall I would probably rate the papers as slightly less challenging than Bright Sparks, but others are welcome to disagree!

Sally-Anne
jaya

Post by jaya »

Thank-you Sally-Anne, this will help make a decision for me as we are looking for extra bucks relevant papers. :)