Random allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tree

Re: Random allocations

Post by Tree »

Ok 'clunk' starting to get it now how about a weighted random allocation. Based on distance and luck ie the closer you are the least you have to rely on random allocation and if you are within the first 1-2 miles you need no luck if 3-5 miles a little luck and so on, i would love to work out a formulae!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think the bit about Stoke Poges/Farnham Common boys not getting in to JHG (sorry don't know how to insert bit of previous messages) is a bit misleading - presumably that is the number remaining on the waiting list. Traditionally for the last few years most qualified boys from these areas have gone to JHG but this year they did not get in due to the moving of the catchment boundaries (they were never in catchment anyway, but the addition of GX etc meant that they wouldn't get in). I know of a large number of boys who had JHG as first choice but decided not to go on the waiting list or appeal as they didn't think there was much point and also, as mentioned were happy with the improvements at BGS. But the point is that they didn't get their first choice. The feeling that everyone (almost) is getting the school they want will be enhanced next year by Stoke Poges/Farnham Common boys not including JHG on their forms as it will be felt to be a waste of time.

We are lucky to have a good school like BGS as an option, but it would be nice to have a choice as they get a few miles up the road in Gerrards Cross.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Allocation of the remaining places would then be made at random within the school's catchment area. That would avoid the situation of children being bussed from the north to the south of the county (as in your post, Rob)
Thanks for the clarification, Sally-Anne, that makes more sense :D I still don’t think it’s a great solution, being a fan of not travelling more than you have to. As you have alluded, I would imagine just as many parents would be upset by the transport issues as are currently upset by not getting their first choice GS.
I am afraid that there will still be a degree of "snob value" attached to attending Challoners or Royal Grammar, simply because they've been around for such a long time
There are definitely people who think there is more ‘snob value’ derived from being able to say their DCs are ‘at Challoners’ than, say, Burnham or Chesham Grammar. IMHO it’s all about the parents, not the children. We don’t need to be changing the entire allocation system to suit a handful of parents’ social aspirations.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now