My child has had an accident and may not be at full speed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crecheout

My child has had an accident and may not be at full speed

Post by crecheout »

Hello
My child had a nasty accident last week that led to her being ambulanced out of school and into hospital with a dislocated knee. She is ok but will miss 2 of the 3 practice papers at school, although we can do them at home. As long as she gets somewhere comfortable to sit (with her leg which is in a brace elevated) I think she will be fine to take the tests on the same day as everyone else (we all really do not want to drag this out any longer than neccessary!) Should I tell the 11 plus examiners prior to the tests or not?
Sally-Anne

Re: My child has had an accident and may not be at full spee

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi crecheout, and welcome!
crecheout wrote:As long as she gets somewhere comfortable to sit (with her leg which is in a brace elevated) I think she will be fine to take the tests on the same day as everyone else (we all really do not want to drag this out any longer than necessary!) Should I tell the 11 plus examiners prior to the tests or not?
I am sorry to hear about your daughter's accident, but I advise considerable caution in allowing her to take the tests. I am concerned that your thread title says that she may not be at full speed, but you then post that you are sure she will be fine.

The advice from Bucks CC is very clear:
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY CHILD IS UNWELL AND MISSES A REAL TEST?
Children will have an opportunity in school to take tests later, but the school and the LA will want the tests to be taken as soon as possible. The Headteacher will give you notice of the new test date for your child. Children should NOT sit a test if they are unwell (even if they want to!)
That last point is incredibly important. Appeal panels are really not sympathetic towards parents who say "even though she wasn't really 100%, she wanted to take the test with all her friends so we thought we should let her." It really is a :roll: moment for panel members.

If another week or so will make all the difference to her then please talk to the Head about her taking the test later. If you do decide to delay, please check the arrangements with the Head very carefully. The tests must not be taken on consecutive days and the school should tell you and her in advance when she will be taking the tests so that she is not at a disadvantage to the other children. It is also very important to check where she will take the tests. There are horror stories from time to time of children having to take the test in a busy school office, the unfamiliar environment of the Head's office, the school dining room when lunch is being prepared, etc.

As the incident happened at school and was dealt with at a hospital there will be indisputable evidence of what happened on her medical record, you do not need to notify the Admissions department.

However, if her leg will still be in a brace for some weeks to come and delaying the tests is not an option I would strongly advise you to call the Admissions Department, or ask your child's Head teacher to do so on your behalf.

There is very little that they will be able to do, but at least it will then be on record that you did everything that was reasonable and sensible, which is what an appeal panel always look for.

Sally-Anne
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

If delaying the test is not an option do try and make sure that she will be able to keep her leg in an elevated position. You will probably have to inform the Test Centre so provisions can be made to her to do so. Good luck.
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Very many thanks for your help and advice, we will know more about how long she will be in the brace when we see the consultant this week and will be able to make an informed decision at that stage. So grateful for your comments, I am usually very sensible, but this whole 11 plus thing is enough to get the most sane of us in an absolute spin. Will let you know what happens.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I understand completely! Please do let us know how you get on with the consultant this week and we will happily give you further advice to the best of our ability.

Hopefully a dislocated knee should heal fairly rapidly.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

So sorry to hear of your DD knee probs - but, just out of interest - if she is off school for a while, but has a new test date, should the school be legally obliged to give her the 2 practice tests which she missed out on before - before she takes the actual 11+ on the new date? Hopefully so -and it is such an unusual situation. It might be worth getting clarification on that? Good luck.
many thanks
dejavu
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dejavu wrote:just out of interest - if she is off school for a while, but has a new test date, should the school be legally obliged to give her the 2 practice tests which she missed out on before
The familiarisation process is essential, but if a child is not in school to complete it the papers are passed to the parents for them to oversee them:
WHAT IF MY CHILD MISSES THE FAMILIARISATION OR PRACTICE IN SCHOOL?
The school may be able to reschedule the missed session before the real tests but sometimes this is not possible. If time does not permit, all the necessary information is included in the pack for you to finish working through it at home with your child.
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about it. How is she getting on?
Try and do the familiarisation if the school doesn't do it with her. It gives them a real boost. Mine taking this year I can feel the tention and the worry you are facing.

Take care
Monsoon
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Hello again,
Went to see consultant this morning and my DD is now in a full leg plaster cast ( I think it is made from fibreglass nowerdays!) This will not be removed until 20th October so we will hopefully be doing the tests at the same time as everyone else (as that cannot take the test that much later than the rest and I cannot stand the thought of another month of preparation, if she is not ready now she never will be!) The school will need to put her in a comfortable place to sit the actual tests so she is not a distraction to the other children if she fidgets and she can be comfortable in herself. School seems quite supportive at the moment, lets hope that continues! The school gave me the practice papers which we have done at home and she seemed to do quite well, however, she always does much better at home than at school or her tutoring class. Keeping everything crossed, thank you for your kind words of support and help.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

That sounds entirely reasonable, crecheout.

Please do check with her after each test what arrangements were made for her and make careful notes if she had any problems. If there are any issues with the arrangements at school for the first test do make sure that you speak to the Head immediately so that they can be sorted out before the second one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now