how are the mums and dads coping

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
logic32

Re: how are the mums and dads coping

Post by logic32 »

Hi Marylou, we are the same ! I think we find out sometime in the week beginning 11th October. I was talking to a friend whose child took the 11+ last year and two weeks notice seems to be standard practice. Am not stressing about it as it's beyond my control. Just stressing about everything else !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

loli34 wrote:I am astounded at the lengths that some parents will go to for the 11+. A girls in my DD class has been off ill for 2 days last week and missed the 11+ test.

In a discussion with DD I said oh thats not very good she must have been very poorly............ Friday the girl returns to school - on the quiet has informed DD that it was all planned as her Mum thought she wouldn't cope very well taking the test with all the other children and therfore would have a much better chance taking it by herself her a later date!!!!!!!!!
I have heard of parents playing this sort of game in the past, but I have to say that it seems to be more prevalent this year.

It is incredibly foolish though, because there is a risk of the situation that logic32 describes - children taking the test in a dark corner of the school, inexperienced staff administering the test, taking it at a different time of day (after lunch when they are not at their best), having the test sprung on them unexpectedly, etc, etc.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Hi Logic - when the tests were held in our school there was usually only a day or two of notice but the children were expecting them, and they also where they would sit the test. It's not knowing either of these variables that is so difficult for this year's cohort, I think. At least when my own DS sits the test next year we'll have some idea of the venue, assuming they use the same one, of course... :?
Marylou
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Goodness Marylou, 2 days notice seems crazy ! I will stop complaining about 2 weeks notice as that now seems quite generous.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

logic32 wrote:Goodness Marylou, 2 days notice seems crazy ! I will stop complaining about 2 weeks notice as that now seems quite generous.
That was because the school needed to fit it into its own schedule, i.e. making sure there was a room available and a member of staff to invigilate, etc. The children always knew which week it would be. However, I don't think there is any excuse not to give more notice to those sitting in half term since the premises etc. must already have been booked!
Marylou
pippi

Post by pippi »

At a slight tangent, I assume that all children's scores are standardised to their age when they actually took the test (and not their age on the main testing days)?
Last edited by pippi on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pippi wrote:At a slight tangent, I assume that all childrens' scores are standardised to their age when they actually took the test (and not their age on the main testing days)?
In a word, yes.
TheDirector

Post by TheDirector »

For what its worth, my child is an "out of county" applicant (just over the border) but we certainly didn't feel at any "advantage". Certainly we had no idea what would be on the papers (except for the sample papers sent through by Bucks CC), we knew nobody in Bucks who sat the tests, my child had to take the test in an unfamiliar environment at 9.15am in the morning (he is brighter in the afternoon), etc.

Frankly, I think the system is about as fair as it can be. Also each education system has its swings and roundabouts. A lot of Bucks kids (who fail the 11+) try and get into our excellent local comprehensive (understandable....).

To be very honest, I don't think our society values or pays teachers enough. We keep changing teaching methods unnecessarily (i.e. nothing wrong with old-fashioned teaching methods....)

What has been a real eye-opener for me is viewing some private schools (I never went to one!). Small class sizes, the kids all have text books (remember those!) and there is proper two-way communication between the school and parents. There are some private schools which seem very pretentious, but there are some which seem really excellent (from both an academic and pastoral perspective).
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

I agree with TheDirector..
I don't think Out of Catchments kids had any advantage.. except they have to wait for longer to do their exams in the unfamiliar environment. Everyone deserve a good education not just who are lucky enough to live close by the grammar schools. I can understand either side of the arguments. We live close the border and possible close enough to get our first choice school.

Good luck to everyone.. and I really hope every gets the results they were anticipating for.
Belgarath

Post by Belgarath »

monsoon wrote:Everyone deserve a good education not just who are lucky enough to live close by the grammar schools. I can understand either side of the arguments. We live close the border and possible close enough to get our first choice school.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about everyone deserving a good education you can plan where you live. We moved up from the London Borough of Richmond 10 years ago and ensured we were in the right place for both a good junior school and in catchment for the grammar schools. Everyone at work thought I was mad planning that far ahead. Tomorrow is the culmination of the 10 year plan. One happily at WHS and fingers crossed one more heading there next year. By the way the choices in Richmond if you weren't going to pay are dire. More two tiered than Bucks IMO

Best wishes to you all out there waiting for a result