how are the mums and dads coping

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blackbox31

Re: how are the mums and dads coping

Post by blackbox31 »

oops meant to say roll on Wednesday :)
drummer

Post by drummer »

my DD thought the vocab was hard, particularly some of which she ended up guessing even after having gone back to them at the end. Otherwise she seemed to think it was a medium test and finished with time to spare - not sue if that bodes well.

It is frustrating that the vocab is the easiest thing to be passed onto OOC children taking the test later.

Test content removed by a moderator
bucksdaddy

Post by bucksdaddy »

drummer, in my view it is not just frustrating it is inappropriate that some children probably those that are tutored (who already have an advantage over the normal Bucks Primary School child) may gain an advantage. No offence meant to OOC children and their parents (who are entitled to do what is best for their family) but I do not understand why Bucks Grammar Schools are not just for children living in Bucks.

My DD would concur with most of the comments on this thread, the grammar was quite hard but overall it compared in difficultly to the final two practice tests which if true is good.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bucksdaddy wrote:I do not understand why Bucks Grammar Schools are not just for children living in Bucks.
It would be illegal under the terms of the Greenwich judgement (1989).
joop

Post by joop »

Being from OCC I can totally see your point of view. However our local comprehensive, in OCC has the largest intake from Buckinghamshire. Parents who live in Bucks whose children don't pass the eleven plus feel that the comprehensive here has more to offer than their catchment non- grammar schools especially in terms for students who have additional needs. This also severely effects the results of our local school which has the highest percentage of children with special needs in the county and therefore local parents with children who are capable of passing the eleven plus go for it (not necessarily with tutoring I might add !!!!)

What a brilliant education system we have - NOT!

Also it is such a drag having to wait until the half term to do the test. I think it should be at the same time for everyone.
drummer

Post by drummer »

I don't care that OOC children can come to Bucks schools - no problem with that at all. After all, under the Bucks system (all qualification treated equally and then admissions on catchment/distance) 'In County' are generally catered for first - so no disadvantage there.

However if OCC children can gain information about the test in advance (aka cheating) - and vocab is a BIG part of the variability of the test, then they are at an advantage and could put Bucks children out of a place by pushing up the actual marks needed to gain 121
logic32

Post by logic32 »

As an OoC mum, I feel we are actually disadvantaged by taking the test later and would much prefer to take at the same time as everyone else.

1/ We still don't know when the tests will be or where they will be held. So I am not able even to show my son the unfamiliar enviroment in which he will be taking the test.

2/ We are viewed with suspicion in case we gain any 'insider' information. ( just to
reiterate, we know no-one in the bucks system )

3/ Our primary schools are usually unhappy with us for not applying 1st for our feeder secondary school and can be very unhelpful ( especially with appeals )

4/ Even if our children pass the 11+ we have no guarentee of a place as, rightly, all those in catchment are placed first, so we may have put our children through the whole process for nothing.

5/ Yes we have had our son tutoured because otherwise he would have no practice but surely many Bucks children are too.

So whilst I appreciate the view that we can not have our cake and eat it, ie : live where we want but choosing the schools we want, I think all anybody wants is the best for their children, which undoubtedly is the grammar system.
pippi

Post by pippi »

logic32 wrote:I think all anybody wants is the best for their children, which undoubtedly is the grammar system.
Maybe you mean the grammar part of the system?
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Yes Pippi, sorry I didn't mean to rant but I feel I been getting flak from all sides ( not on this forum I hasten to add - which is wonderful ).

I guess it's just that even if I did have the opportunity to gather any information on the tests already taken, it's simply something I would never do. Perhaps I'm being hugely naive in thinking it would't happen that much with others....?

I really wish we could all take the tests at the same time to prevent any chance of children gaining an advantage, real or imagined. Unfortunately as I said our school is not supportive of the 11+ and therefore there is no chance of it becoming a partner school. Unlike some much further away, but there you go.

Best of luck to everyone for next weeks test.
bucksdaddy

Post by bucksdaddy »

logic32, I really do feel for you having to wait to take the test as I know the waiting would drive me up the wall as well. When you are ready, you just want it done.

I guess I just wish it was (and was perceived to be) a level playing field for all the children taking the exam.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now