Equating test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mummog

Equating test

Post by mummog »

I wonder if your esteemed members can shed any light on this. My DS and all of his year 6 classmates who sat the recent 11+ papers have been asked to sit an 'equating test' tomorrow. We have had very little notice regarding this, some parents were informed by e-mail yesterday, others, like me, only received the information today, but we have assurances that this test will not in any way affect the recently sat papers. I understand from friends that some parents have sent letters into school informing them that they do not wish their children to take part. Others, like my DS, have decided that, as the paper does not affect their results and, bearing in mind that they thought that the 11+ was done and dusted, they do not intend to put in very much effort. :roll: Taking this into consideration, I cannot see how the process will provide accurate information. Can someone in the know tell me what the 'equating' process involves. Many thanks.
Mummog x
petlover

Re: Equating test

Post by petlover »

Hi,
My daughter is in year 8 now at AHS, but at her primary school they all did CATS tests at about the time of the 11+. I think the results can be used as part of evidence of academic ability should you need to appeal. My daughter said some of her friends didn't do their best in this test, as they weren't aware that it could be important.
Sorry if this isn't anything to do with equating; I expect someone with more knowledge will be along soon.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Schools required to take part in the equating process were contacted during the summer term, with participation on a rota basis. The equating test will be sat in the week immediately after the tests proper.

The sample group’s performance will help GL Assessment to correlate the comparative performance of the 2010 and 2011 entry year groups that will have then sat this test. Equating is important because it helps us to make sure that each year the results achieved are comparable with previous years.
Rest assured that they're not looking at individual children. They're looking at how the overall standard compares with previous years.
Etienne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks for your responses. I have told my DS to do his best and treat it just as he did the real papers. I still fail to see though how this test, being sat whilst the children are in a completely different mindset, can be equated to the real papers. Oh well, fingers crossed for everyone for results day. Mummog x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not really my field, but I assume the comparison being made is with last year's equating results, to see how a representative sample of this year's children compares with last year's.
Etienne
mad?

Post by mad? »

Etienne wrote:Not really my field, but I assume the comparison being made is with last year's equating results, to see how a representative sample of this year's children compares with last year's.
Yes, the comparitor would be the same, two less than bothered sets of post test children minus tose whose parents have said they don't want them to do it. Indeed I understand those who opted out of 11+ would do this unless they were given the chance/remembered to opt out again? As an aside, I am beginning to wonder how much money this whole thing costs...and dare I say it to understand why most places (much to my regret) got rid of the 11+.
mad?
mummog

Post by mummog »

Did you choose the best name for yourself Mad? or might Cynical? have been a better choice!! :)
mad?

Post by mad? »

mummog wrote:Did you choose the best name for yourself Mad? or might Cynical? have been a better choice!! :)
Getting madder and more cynical by the day! :lol:
mad?
mummog

Post by mummog »

:wink: