Age Weighting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmumof2

Re: Age Weighting

Post by tiredmumof2 »

Hi Belgareth

I guess that it is not perfect whether your child is September born or August born. Perhaps we should have all thought about it more carefully and gone for the February!

My basic point is that I would have preferred it personally if my DD had managed to hold on in utero for another few days. She would still have been reading at the age of 3, and I would have still been helping as much as I could, (regardless of her date of birth), but she would have had another year to perfect her skills. She would also have been emotionally more ready to learn when she arrived at school/more mature when she took the 11 plus.

For me, education is not entirely school based (whether you as a parent provide formal "teaching" (or tutoring), or not).

I'm sure that by GCSE time there will be nothing in it, but it does seem there is quite a lot of evidence out there that demonstrates that by 10 years/11 years the date of birth still provides an advantage/disadvantage.

I think we would both agree that the method of calculating that adv/disadv is not perfect and that the major difficulty is in fact the very high marks that have to be attained.
andyb

Post by andyb »

tiredmumof2 wrote:I guess that it is not perfect whether your child is September born or August born. Perhaps we should have all thought about it more carefully and gone for the February!
This made me chuckle - DS1 July born, DS2 February :D
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

andyb wrote:
tiredmumof2 wrote:I guess that it is not perfect whether your child is September born or August born. Perhaps we should have all thought about it more carefully and gone for the February!
This made me chuckle - DS1 July born, DS2 February :D
:lol: :lol:

I do agree that a younger aged child,even if ofsame intelligence, may still be at a disadvantage due to immaturity, both my June dc still seem behind in this respect, so I do believe it's fair for the age weight to be included. How one child who's possibly almost a year older deals with a test, can be completely different for a less mature child who's almost a year younger!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now